Different DVDS for different Regions - Why?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Boyle, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

I know the answer is different distributors but I find this practice infuriating [​IMG]
    I picked up a copy of "Dog Soldiers" in the UK on Monday which is Region 2 - It has a 16:9 picture / DD5.1 audio / decent extras including the much raved about Directors & Actors Commentary (amusing noisey & gorey film too btw)
    This film has been out on R1 for some months with the same spec as the R2 apart from the absence of the Director / Actors Commentary (although there is another commentary track on the R1 which may be the same one which is also on the R2 which has two commentaries ?)
    On R3 you can buy the film with a DTS-ES track but the film is 4:3 ratio and is most likely lacking any extras (?)
    Just when you think things cant get any worse it appears the R2 version coming out soon in Denmark is going to have all the extras & the DTS-ES track too [​IMG]
    Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else ?
    Rant over - thanks for your time ... Paul [​IMG]

2. Mikko-Ville

Mikko-Ville Stunt Coordinator

DVDoo.com has only one commentary and DTS 5.1 listed for the Danish version. Check it here.

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

On the positive side, it gives disc producers multiple chances to get it right, and the educated purchaser can pick the best version. Otherwise you'd be stuck with the lowest common denominator.[​IMG]