What's new

Different DVDS for different Regions - Why? (1 Viewer)

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
I know the answer is different distributors but I find this practice infuriating :angry:
I picked up a copy of "Dog Soldiers" in the UK on Monday which is Region 2 - It has a 16:9 picture / DD5.1 audio / decent extras including the much raved about Directors & Actors Commentary (amusing noisey & gorey film too btw)
This film has been out on R1 for some months with the same spec as the R2 apart from the absence of the Director / Actors Commentary (although there is another commentary track on the R1 which may be the same one which is also on the R2 which has two commentaries ?)
On R3 you can buy the film with a DTS-ES track but the film is 4:3 ratio and is most likely lacking any extras (?)
Just when you think things cant get any worse it appears the R2 version coming out soon in Denmark is going to have all the extras & the DTS-ES track too :angry:
Is it just me or does this annoy anyone else ?
Rant over - thanks for your time ... Paul ;)

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I know the answer is different distributors but I find this practice infuriating
It's not so much a distributor problem but a licensing/rights problem. Much of the time extras content is not available or not affordable to be licensed in different countries. It sucks, but what doesn't when it comes to international DVDs?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
On the positive side, it gives disc producers multiple chances to get it right, and the educated purchaser can pick the best version. Otherwise you'd be stuck with the lowest common denominator.:thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks