What's new

Different director for 4th Harry Potter movie Goblet of Fire (1 Viewer)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
BBC and Atkinson's publicist have both denied the rumors. Not that I'm familiar with the press in the UK but isn't The Sun essentially their version of The National Enquirer? I could swear I've heard some pretty outrageous things from them before.

While I certainly enjoy Mr. Bean and Black Adder, I just can't picture Rowan Atkinson as Voldemort. He has unique eyes and I couldn't look at him in the role of Voldemort without thinking about his comic roles. I think whoever is selected should have a naturally mean face, if that makes any sense. I really don't have any face in mind, just not his.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I remember saying to myself "I cound never see Mr Bean playing Dr Who".

But then... I did, and it was way better then I expected.

As a casting choice, it seems perfect...
I try not to think of Mr Bean, but the dry character Rowan played in Blackadder 1 and 2 (He was "almost" a bad guy in those).

Nick

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Yep, and probably even less reliable. I'd never believe anything they say.

EDIT: Having just watched "Storm of the Century" on SciFi, I think perhaps Colm Feore could make a good Voldemort. He certainly played the coldly evil Andre Linogue very convincingly.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A shame. Don't see why he finds two installments so embarrassing; it's working for Tarentino. Still, if he and Kloves can pare it down to the bare bones of the triller/mystery than it could make an effective movie (although most likely not an effective adaptation).

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The only reason a Goblet of Fire movie would need to be five hours long (!) is if they simply filmed the book, word for word. I, for one, think a film adaptation should be a movie on its own terms, not a "filmed reading" of a novel.

I enjoyed Goblet of Fire, in fact, it's my favorite of the Potter books. But a talented writer could certainly find ways to pare that monster down.

*Goblet of Fire story spoilers below*

Seriously, what's the spine of the story? A wizard contest, which is in fact, a trap. What are the stakes? Voldemort finding a way to neutralize the protection spell on Harry, and finding a way to regain physical form. If you focus on that, sure, you can make a two-and-a-half hour version of Goblet of Fire. Just pare it down to its essential narrative scenes. Let the Harry Potter fans scream bloody murder. If they want the story exactly as told in the book, then they can go read the book.

* End Spoilers*

I think Christopher Plummer would make a great Voldemort. If they need to cast younger, than Gabriel Byrne, or if they were feeling bold, Jude Law.

Rowan Atkinson? Naah, though he would make a good Wormtail.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://actionadventure.about.com/cs/...a/aa031604.htm

Moaning Myrtle returns in Goblet of Fire

I was surprised to hear Shirley Henderson would return for another Harry Potter film. I thought her role as Moaning Myrtle in Chamber of Secrets was pretty specific to that one story. I hadn’t read the books, so I didn’t know the future stories, but when Henderson announced during an interview for Intermission that she was returning for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, I pursued a line of questioning.

absoutely fascinating

DustinC

Stunt Coordinator
I was surprised to hear Shirley Henderson would return for another Harry Potter film. I thought her role as Moaning Myrtle in Chamber of Secrets was pretty specific to that one story. I hadn’t read the books, so I didn’t know the future stories, but when Henderson announced during an interview for Intermission that she was returning for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, I pursued a line of questioning.
Yes, Moaning Myrtle is indeed in Goblet of Fire, its because of her that Harry figures something out.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Whoa... are you saying Harry figures something out in later books? My impression from the first couple of movies is that his friends or his dead mother or the villains just tell him things and he accepts the credit because he's the chosen one. :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Jeez. I almost forgot. Moaning Myrtle from the movie was annoying as heck. I just hope they keep her role VERY limited.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
It should be. She has a pair of cameos in the book (one of which would likely be cut, although it might be left in only because it's so short) then is gone again.

DustinC

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa... are you saying Harry figures something out in later books? My impression from the first couple of movies is that his friends or his dead mother or the villains just tell him things and he accepts the credit because he's the chosen one.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Dustin, then you see her again in the lake as Harry is swimming around. She comes up to him and gives him some idea of where the hostages are.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why do people not check their posts? That non-spoilered spoiler has been up for over an hour.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Because I made that post right before I had to run out the door. That's why I also intentionally used wording that was quite vague, so if you hadn't read the book, it won't give much away anyway.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"And you don't think comparing Hippies to Voldemort is a little insulting?"

Hippies still exist? I thought all the hippies transformed into yuppies round about 1984.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks