What's new

Different components. Will they play nice/be compatible? (1 Viewer)

gamrlovers11223

Auditioning
Real Name
Yuri
Hello everyone. Glad to join your forum.
Right now I have Harman Kardon HTKS 15 7.1 system with Sony str-dn1000 but only use 3.1. I didn't want to hook up the rest of the speakers because I feel like they will still sound like crap.
I ordered new set of speakers: Polk Audio Signature Series S60 x 2, S35 center, S15 bookshelf speakers x2.
I want to leave the receiver and the sub. I realize that Polks are much better than the HK system so will my receiver be enough for them? Same question for the sub.
Thank you.

gamrlovers11223

Auditioning
Real Name
Yuri
Thank you for your reply. I saw a good sale on a new receiver. Ordered a Denon 3300W. I hope with a new receiver these speakers will shine.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Denon is nice but it won't be a 'wow' type upgrade (compared to the sound of the Sony). The biggest bang you could get right now is to replace the sub. Still, a great start to a very nice setup.

gamrlovers11223

Auditioning
Real Name
Yuri
This is how it looks now. Still in the process of adjusting but sounds amazing.
G6hyYB.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I'd look into upgrading the sub. Personally, I'm a fan of better amplification than you find in receivers. I get a lot of resistance to that here, so I'm not going to get into an argument about it. Consider my advice or not. It's up to you. Fortunately, your new receiver has a full set of pre-amp outputs and a DC trigger, so you can fully integrate an external amp, and you appear to have room for it in the cabinet. I own a lot of Emotiva stuff, and they have a couple nice, reasonably priced 5 channel amps. I know you're only using three channels, but at worst you simply leave the extra two channels unused, or you have them to grow into. The A-500 and A-5175 are both worth considering, and you get 30 days to try them out. Just be sure to check the dimensions to make certain you have enough depth in the cabinet. You need to think about power amps differently from other electronics. They are a long term investment. You keep the same amp as you upgrade other electronics. A good amp should serve you 20-30 or more years if you don't abuse it.

BTW, your receiver doesn't have enough room to dissipate heat. You want at least 2 inches above it, and a fan doesn't hurt either.

gamrlovers11223

Auditioning
Real Name
Yuri
What sub would you recommend to get?
About an amp, I want to upgrade the sub first, then think about the amp. I have 5.1 channels connected. Two rear speakers are mounted on the wall by the couch.
I lowered the shelf so the receiver has room to breathe.
GYwSQq.jpg

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

One that the neighbors can enjoy too. :drum:

How big is your listening room? Is it open to other rooms? Subs can be tricky even in the best rooms. Check out the thread Dave posted, pick a few in your budget and come back. I am a huge SVS fan but there are many other quality subs out there as well.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It looks like you have something of a limitation on floor space, so a cylinder sub might be your best choice. Don't place it up against anything else. Subs need a little room around them. Since the driver on cylinder subs is on the bottom, I'd make sure it's at least 6" from anything else.

pedro79

Auditioning
Real Name
Pedro Alvarado
About an amp, I want to upgrade the sub first, then think about the amp. I have 5.1 channels connected. Two rear speakers are mounted on the wall by the couch.
I lowered the shelf so the receiver has room to breathe.
GYwSQq.jpg

i saw you on audioholics. getting input from all over is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks