1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

different channel levels for DD/DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, May 24, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Does any receiver offer different channel volume settings for DD and DTS? Using the Sound and Vision calibration dvd, I noticed that DTS is louder than DD at the same volume point on the receiver but in addition to this, the surrounds - both side and back were also louder. i.e. to get everything balanced for both DD and DTS, I'd need to have the ability to save channel levels for DD and DTS separately. I haven't seen any budget receiver that can do this but I'm curious if any receivers currently out there do this.

thanks,

--tom

2. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Sounds like the usual differences in format encoding. It is quite normal for DTS to exhibit noticably louder levels. Many times DTS tracks seem to have more emphasis on the surrounds, as well. There has been much discussion on this issue. There are many different theories and opinions as to why the differences exist.

Andrew B.

3. John H

John H Second Unit

4. Michael Lomker

Michael Lomker Stunt Coordinator

DTS and DD are encoded with different levels. John H's receiver might be of high enough quality to automatically make the adjustment for him. Not all receivers are going to make that adjustment.

5. Will

Will Guest

I think there is another side of the DTS versus Dolby debate, having to do with getting ambiance from 2 channel music, as distinct from DTS versus DD DVD's. To get the ambiance out of 2 channel music, DTS offers NEO-MUSIC. Dolby offers DPL II-MUSIC. I find that DTS NEO-MUSIC seems to have less emphasis not more, on the surrounds, than DPL II-MUSIC has. My conclusion for music ambiance, is almost opposite the DVD DTS/DD results. I find DPL-II music to be good but not as good as NEO and that DPL-II sounds somewhat more artificial than NEO. That's just my opinion however. This is using the default DPL II settings. I'm basing my conclusions on what I experience on the Outlaw 950 pre/pro.

6. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

>>DPL-II sounds somewhat more artificial than NEO

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Tom,

my Yamaha doesn't "save" reference settings (I use a notepad) and set volume control accordingly. Yes, with the S&V disc, I found Dts at 75dB calibration was ~4dB louder than DD.

I gleaned that the difference in spread is due to Dolby's use of Dialog Normalization. Here is a clippet from an SMR THX Optimode guide:

"Dialog normalization instructs the Dolby Digital decoder to reduce the level of its outputs by the amount specified within the bitstream. The typical amount of attenuation applied is 4dB, the 'standard' for Dolby Digital motion picture material. This figure can vary however, for added headroom 'Air Force One' (an isolated example) has a -0dB dialog normalization value while mono material, such as the re-releases of old James Bond movies can have up to -9dB dialog normalization."

8. Will

Will Guest

I've only used the default setting but I guess I can try experimenting with the Dimension numbers. Anyone know where can I find what the various Dimension numbers mean specifically, on the 950?

9. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

>>I've only used the default setting but I guess I can try experimenting with the Dimension numbers. Anyone know where can I find what the various Dimension numbers mean specifically, on the 950?

10. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

On the original question between Dolby Digital and DTS:

It is quite common for DTS recordings to be 4 dB louder than Dolby Digital. The most likely explanation is that Dolby's dialog normalization feature reduces the level of any recording that used the default setting when encoded. DTS does not use dialog normalization.

As to differences in surround levels: that makes no sense at all. I'll throw out a wild guess.

I bet you've got your surrounds set to SMALL and fronts set to LARGE. Thus, bass from the surrounds is being sent to the subwoofer. I also bet that your receiver saves separate subwoofer levels for DTS and Dolby Digital and that you might have the subwoofer level set higher for DTS. This would make your surrounds "louder".

Just something else to check!