What's new

different centre speaker to front L+R speakers (1 Viewer)

david stark

Second Unit
Does anyone have any experience of using drastically different speakers for thier main front L+R pair and the centre channel?

The reason I ask is that I have a 5.1 set up now with a centre speaker (rega senta) that matches my front pair (rega ara's - bookshelf speakers). I will probably be buying another pair of front speakers based purely on quality for audio so I'm wondering if the set up would sound ok if I leave the centre speaker I have at the moment, but with a different set of front speakers.

anyone have any experience of using different front/centre combination compared to matching set?

Robert James Clark

Second Unit
Though using identical speakers (or identical sounding speakers) is the much preferred method, in the short term you can definitely have decent results from using a good center channel, even if it doesn't match the fronts.
What should you look for? No hollowness, no cabinet resonances, an even response across the spectrum.
Listen to male voices in movies and music and listen for any chestiness or "cupped hands" sound qualities.

If your current speakers pass you should have no problems...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks