What's new

Different and interesting things you'd like to see on the 'SPIDER-MAN' dvd? (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I had a petition here in the forum for the WTC trailer on the spider-man movie dvd!.

JACOB

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Like everyone else, I would guess that this one is going to be stocked/loaded/brimming with the usual "special features" (including many of the ideas listed above), so, presuming that the DVD is already created, I'm hoping for two simple things:
1) A 2-Disc set - Disc 1: Movie only Disc 2: Extras
2) A DTS track!!!

JamesHromadka

Stunt Coordinator
How about that original Spiderman home movie that guy made a few years ago? I heard it was pretty good.

I also want the WTC trailer on the DVD.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Forget a movie to storyboard comparison, how about a movie to comic book comparison, utilizing pages from the actual published books, such as Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-man 1, and more? A few folks here seem to be facetiously negative in asking that they point out mistakes, and how they messed up the movie, but that's not what I'm getting at. I'd really like to see a real breakdown of both the similarities and differences from the books to screen, and discussions as to why the decisions, either way, were made. I'd like this not to point out how "they fucked up!!! GRR!", but rather because I think it would make for some interesting viewing. Have Sam Raimi and Stan Lee provide commentary for this, and I would be in hog heaven. :emoji_thumbsup: Hell, throw in screenwriter David Koepp, classic Spidey artist Steve Ditko, or even a few of the production designers here and there. This would rock. :D

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I got the Trade Center trailer on issue #4 of FX DVD Magazine. It's not as good as we all remember, especially given the events of 9-11.

The Spidey effects are great, and are pretty much what we see in the theater. The other effects of the dudes in the helicopter actually kind of suck and look like bad rear projection ala T2. The editing of the bank robbery sequence however is outstanding, and effectively compresses several minutes into a few seconds quite quickly, and set to rock music is an effective music video.

I do hope it goes on the DVD for nostalgia's sake, but a disclaimer of some kind should procede it for those people who might not want to remember it exists; or it could be put in as an easter egg that only the diehard fan could access. The instructions could be put on their website, again with a disclaimer. As long as Sony is up front with it, it would not seem exploitive.

JMO, your milage may vary.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
One point re: Spidey's snappy repartee -
1) This was the origin film, Peter isn't that comfortable in his Spidey "skin" and was mostly seen in deadly serious situations. (The only places where the usual Spidey one-liners would really have fit were the events shown in the silent montage where he's slamming assorted petty cooks.) I'm not sure how funny he'd be, in the comics or out, while fighting for Mary Jane's life, for instance.
2) There is a difference between movies and comic books. :) Stan Lee and the later writers could put in as many words as the panels would hold during all those fight scenes. Nobody had to worry about how long it would take someone to actually say all that dialogue aloud, or little problems like breathing and talking in the middle of a fist fight. I don't doubt we'll get more of Spidey's wise-a** side in the next two installments, but I'd be surprised to see the kind of wall-to-wall quips they did in the comics, because they've cast Toby McGuire, not the guy from the old FedEx commercials, in the lead role. :)
Regards,
Joe

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Alec, you're way off on those bloopers.
You will NEVER see this, trust me ;)
At the same time, Sony was working on Riding in Cars with Boys, and there's a shot where they needed to put underwear on a guy to get PG-13. So in addition to said underwear, they inserted Spider-Man slapping his cheeks, and Stuart little riding his ass like a pony
News from Conan last night. Kirsten Dunst was describing filming her falling and how horrifically silly she looked (Conan demonstrated). She said that it would be on the DVD

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Hello
Here is an article from www.VFXPRO.com (you need to register to read the article) involving John Dykstra and the Spider-Man DVD.
Here is part of the article
Did you remain involved for the entire production?
I'm still involved now! We're doing color timing for the DVD release and Sam decided that it was important for me to be involved with evaluating the color timing of the visual effects shots.
One of the things that happens when you take a film originated piece of material into video environs, be it high definition, DVD or VHS, the home systems that those things are played on have an offset. They automatically make all of the blacks lighter. By design, night scenes have dark areas where the shadow detail is limited, and when they lift the blacks, they bring all of that shadow detail up and it starts to look like a day scene. So we have gone through shot-by-shot in this movie and trimmed the color-timing elements to make them more like the original intent of the film.
------------------------------------------------------------
here is the best news
What are you working on next?
I'll probably be working on the sequel!
------------------------------------------------------------
Great article to read.
Oscar Merkx
:emoji_thumbsup:

Grant Degs

Agent
Two ideas which have already kind of been mentioned:

1) A comparison of scenes in the movie with classic scenes

from the comic book. (Ex: Goblin dropping Mary Jane off the

bridge versus Goblin dropping Gwen Stacy of bridge) Stan

Lee and Raimi dould discuss the differences and the

decisions that were made. Show how close the movie came

to the comics.

2) A Commentary with Spider-Man and the Green Goblin in

character. Could be very interesting. I saw this earlier

in some thread and thought it would be cool. You know,

the goblin making some remark about how Spider-Man was

lucky to get away here, etc. What he figured out when.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
There is a lot of good stuff that can be done for this DVD, and it looks like the deleted scenes have already been revealed as being on the disc... but I'm not keeping my hopes up for commentaries, dts or insightful interviews and documentaries. With our luck, we'll get another kiddie crap-fest a la Harry Potter and The Grinch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks