1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Differences in picture due to screen size in DLP sets?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Charlie Campisi, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I am looking for a tv for our family room which has lots of windows, so I want something that throws off a decent amount of light. The Samsung dlp's are in the right price range, $1700-1800 for the 46-50" sets. I will probably order it online, but went into a store to look at the picture. They had a 5067 (50", 67 series) set right next to a 4266 (42", 66 series).

The picture on the 42 was brighter and seemed to have more color than the 50. I pulled up the display settings and set them all so that they were identical. Still different. I asked the manager and he said that they shouldn't be different just based on screen size. He attributed it to the 67 using a better chip. IMO, I liked the picture on the 66 better. I know I will calibrate it anyway, but is there another explanation for why the pictures would look different? Just wondering what else I should ask.

He also said that the 42 was a return. Maybe the 50 had more use on it and the picture began to fade as a result of spending most of its life as part of a display?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If two projection sets (rear or front) have the same innards but different screen sizes the smaller picture will be brighter. It's simply that the projection unit emits the same amount of light and the light is "spread thinner" on a bigger screen.

Brighter does not always mean better. Depending on the light level in your room, the brightness of the lightest part of the picture, as controlled by the contrast or picture setting, may need to be brought down.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Yup. I know this and have my crt RP dialed down with DVE. But in addition to being brighter, the smaller set seemed to have better colors. Who knows what the image was supposed to look like or what it would look like with a color pluge running, but it looked better in the store. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't another question I should be asking.