Differences between Toshiba 40H80 and 40X81 HDTVs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Forner, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I've been looking around for a new 16:9 display for my home theater and I've narrowed it down to to the Toshiba 40H80. I'm going with this one because it is within my financial reach and is the smallest big-screen set that I can fit in my room at this time.
    However, I was browsing around OneCall.com and I found that there is another model available that they are trying to clear out: the 40X81. They're selling it for $1599.38 I assume that this is an older model since the 40H80 still sells for $1999.99 shipped.
    Can anyone give me an idea of how these two models differ? Does the 40H80 improve upon the 40X81 in any way, or are they basically the same units. Any feedback would be greatly appreicated. Thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Can I finish? Please! Can I finish? Okay, I'm finished."

2. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

I believe the biggest difference is in the line doubler. The H80 has a better line doubler (and if manufactered after 1/01 has 3:2 pulldown) and remote, I believe. I don't recall all the minor differences. However, I do think that the differences do warrant the extra cash. If you shop around, you can find the 40H80 for less than the $1999. It is an EXCELLENT set and I've been very happy with it.. especially since the ISF calibration by Kevin Miller.
    If you do a search here on the forums for 40X81 and 40H80 I'm sure there are several posts that will answer you question in greater detail.

3. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

One less inportant difference is the menu system. The menus on the TW40X81 respond much slower than those on the 40H80. It's also a little annoying swithching inputs on the TW40X81 when you know how much faster they perform on the 40H80.
    Just two minor quirks.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

4. RussR

RussR Stunt Coordinator