Differences between the Superbit Crouching Tiger and the regular DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lanny_B, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I love that movie. How much difference is there between the superbit version and the regular DVD? I already have the regular version, but I was considering selling it if the the Superbit version is that good.

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

The Superbit version presents the film in 16:9 widescreen with dts Mandarin 5.1 Surround and Dolby Digital Mandarin 5.1 Surround soundtracks. English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, and Thai optional subtitles are available on the disc. The menus are static with no supplements.

The regular version presents the film in 16:9 widescreen with Dolby Digital Mandarin & English 5.1 Surround and Dolby Digital English & French 2.0 Surround soundtracks. The optional Subtitles are limited to just English and French. This disc does contain bonus materials consisting of a commentary by Ang Lee & James Schamus, "Unleashing The Dragon" featurette, "Conversation with Michelle Yeoh" featurette, photo montage, and trailers.

3. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Lanny, if you're interested, I have a SuperBit copy to trade. Send me an e-mail.

Jeremy

4. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

Lanny : Expect around 10% improvement in image quality if you have a large display device, optimally calibrated. Of course, you may not have a large TV/Projector, in which case I'd rent first.
    YMMV, but it *is* an improvement, to me. The main thing I miss is the commentary.

5. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

It doesnt have the horror of a dub on the superbit, which makes it better to me.

6. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

How is the dts soundtrack over the Dolby 5.1? I don't really have a wide HDTV right now, but that doesn't mean I don't want to replace this movie later on when I do get one either.

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

"On my 27" television, the two DVDs looked identical. On my DVD-ROM equipped computer, the Superbit version was sharper, but only when closely scrutinized."

That's quoted from the review above. The only thing you can glean from this review is that on a tiny, interlaced tv or an unknown PC monitor, the differences are small to none. Well duh!

As always, if you have a very large rptv or a front projection setup, then the improvement will be significant. If you don't, it won't be.

Superbit on an incapable display is the equivalent of SACD on a mini-system.

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I thought the Superbit looked a tad better on my 32" 16:9. Also, a nice omission was the over-long, pointless motion menus of the original release.

10. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The superbit does look better than the original in my opinion.

My comment about the dub stems from my time with Blockbuster. The reason I was so mad about the dub being present is that most customers at Blockbuster refused to watch it without the dub. They then say they hated the film and it was poorly acted. Thats when I begged them AGAIN to watch it in Mandarin, since they didnt "really" watch the film until it was original language. The superbit just forced people to see it the right way, which is why I liked that.

11. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit

I agree that I wish movies wouldn't have the choice to watch it a "bad way", especially for when I hear people say they rented it and weren't really "impressed with it".

12. Dave H

Dave H Producer

13. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

There are only 2 types of superbit re-releases. Either its the SB treatment used on the same film-to-HD transfer, or its the SB treatment used on a new transfer. The latter has only happened on Desperado, AFAIK. All others simply have the increased horizonal detail that is typical for the SB titles, but remain basically equal in all other aspects.
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is no exception. You could basically read ANY of the SB reviews on my site (except Desperado, see above) and judge for yourself if the difference in horizontal detail is worse the hassle.
    But to show the differences one more time, i took a few shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are rather dark, so it might be necessary to increase brightness on your monitors.
    Again, you can clearly see how the vertical detail is identical, and the horizontal detail is higher by around 10%. What to look for? Vertical lines are finer (see first picture) and horizontal detail like little window rows (second picture) is more defined.
    Regards
    Bjoern

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Hey Bjoren,

Are you going to review Panic Room and compare it to other Superbits?

15. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

Hi Dave,

yes i probably will. I read the controversial about the title and will post my thoughts on the issue as soon as i find the time. Spidey, AOTC and FOTR:EE have priority, though.

Bjoern

16. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Bjoern,
    I'm eagerly awaiting more updates to your wonderful site. [​IMG]

17. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Improved Sound in the provision of a dts track Original Chinese Language track & great Transfer

18. Michael Gilliam

First off, I have neither a large nor widescreen display. I can, however, discern differences between the original and Superbit versions of the films released. Some seem to have a bigger difference than others. You can tell this especially between the 2 versions of "The Fifth Element" and "Bram Stoker's Dracula." In my opinion, the difference for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was less noticeable. The SB version did have a higher average bitrate, however, and I'm sure the differences would probably be more noticeable on a larger display. The original version had very high bitrates in many scenes, but quite lower ones in the darker scenes.
    Even though the differences in video between the 2 versions were not drastic, I would still recommend getting the SB. Although I wasn't as pleasantly surprised by this SB title as I have been with others, I'm sure there will be a payoff in the future when I can upgrade to a better display. Besides, it does have a nice DTS track, and if you can get higher quality, why not, right? Unfortunately the orginal has nice extras so I feel this is one of those times where you just bite the bullet and get both.

19. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

The thing with Superbit is you either have the setup to see it or you don't. If you don't you can spend all day staring at certain scenes or comparison screenshots, if you do the difference is so obvious it's ridiculous to even discuss it.

20. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thankyou Bjoern, I will be planning to change my CTHD for the superbit soon enough because now PQ is more of an issue for me (due to some changes). I will have to make it over to your site for some other reviews as well.