Differences between the Sony KD34XS955 and KD34XBR960 Televisions?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Daniel Johnson, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Daniel Johnson

A friend presented me with this question as an XBR960 owner, and I honestly didn't know. A quick Google only produced the Picture-in-picture feature, Cable Card slot and a 10-bit comb filter on the XBR. Other than that, they seem to be the same (use the same picture tube, have the same built-in HD tuner, etc). He doesn't need Cable Card or PIP, so would he be better off saving a couple hundred bucks and going with the non-XBR, or are there other noteworthy differences?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Daniel, please ask about displays in the Display Devices area.

As to your question, at least back to the XBR910 days, the top-of-the-line, 34-inch WEGA (the XBR960) has a super fine-pitched aperture grill. Don't know if the lesser models have this. (I do know Sony's 4:3, HD-capable screens don't have the super fine-pitched grill.) And it does make a difference. The KV-34XBR960 is the best direct-view, CRT-based display I've ever seen.

3. Daniel Johnson

Ahh, sorry. (Hopefully) Won't happen again.

By the way, both of the aforementioned sets have the Super Fine Pitch CRT. They seem to be essentially the same set, with the XBR having a couple of extra features, but I want to make sure before I tell him they're going to have about the same PQ.