1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between SVS Models? ** YES, it's ANOTHER SVS thread! :)**

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I'm sure you guys are getting tired of all the SVS threads, so I apologize for making yet another [​IMG]. You must excuse me for I'm torn over which model to pick! I already emailed TOM from SVS and he was very helpful, but I didn't want to bother him further as I'm sure he's a very busy man.
    You see, I originally was considering the CS-Ultra, but it seems a bit too expensive and now I'm not too sure if it's worth the added costs considering dual 20-39's seem to offer greater performance for less. I don't want to spend much over $1000, so now I'm looking into the regular line of SVS subs.
    Looking at the response charts provided at the SVS site, it appeared to me that 16-46 has very similar performance to that of the 20-39, especially above the 25hz range, and the 25-31 has a pretty significant advantage over the latter 2 over 30hz! Does this mean that the 25-31 will have greater impact (hit harder) at 30+ frequencies? I don't see why, being this is their cheapest model. If so, dual 25-31 might be the way to go!
    Now I'm more than ever stuck between choosing! What do you guys suggest I get? Here is some info that may help:
    - Will be used for 80% music, 20% movies
    - Mainly listen to Rock, Classical, Dance/House/Techno
    - Room is carpeted and approximately 10' x 11' x 8.5' (I realize any SVS would do in such a small room, but I would like to future-proof myself in the case that I should move)
    - I'm a notorious BASS-HEAD. I want to be able to FEEL my insides HURT! [​IMG]
    Now I figure most of the material I will be encountering will hardly ever if ever hit below 20hz, so the added extension of the Ultra and 16-46 may be uncessary. Greater ouput at each frequency is what I'm looking for... I'm talking foundation wrecking bass here! That in mind, does the 25-31 REALLY have greater output at 30+ frequencies as the response chart suggests?

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

For your preferences, I say dual 25-31's would be the ticket...

3. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

get the 25-31. I got a custom tuned to 22.5 Hz, and I replaced the resistors to give it a bass boost at 20-23 Hz, I just measured it yesterday and it is totally flat to BELOW 20 Hz!!!

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Mike;
    I concur with the others. If you primarily listen to music and you're most concerned about overall impact than one or two 25-31 series subs will be best for you.
    I own the 16-46PC and I have a friend who owns a 20-39PC. Clearly, the 20-39PC, which has a bit more volume in more common bass frequencies, exhibits a harder hit than mine. However, I'd say my sub is a lot smoother and easier on the ears, and I know for a fact that it can go deeper on the sound spectrum.
    At any rate, if what I've heard between the 16-46 and the 20-39 is any indication, the 25-31s will give you all the impact you'll want.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "Why do I always get a warped one?"

5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Mike,
    I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've picked up here, my thoughts are that you'll have some problems with room dynamics since it's nearly square.
    I doubt you'll benefit much from 2 subs if you put one in each corner. Seems the best way is to put them both in the same corner. But I can't imagine you'd have room to do that in that small room.
    My listening room is 11.5 x 12 x 8 with HW floors. The armoire has the 32" TV on one side and A/V rack on the other side. I'm left with ~39" open space on either side of the armoire for speakers and sub.
    If your A/V rack is underneath your TV, then you'll have more room than I. But you'll likely have to play with placement in order to maximize your sub. I picked up 6 dB by moving from one corner to the other.
    I've done nothing but calibrate with Avia/VE to 75 dB and left the sub about 1-2 dB hot. Yesterday I had the house to myself for a while, and ran the DTS #4 demo disk and TPM (pod race) at ref levels. I measured peaks of 111 dB during The Haunting clip on the DTS demo. Believe me, that was plenty loud! This is the 20-39cs/Samson 700 combo. My speakers are all set to small.
    IAC, I'd suggest the cs line so you can add a 2nd SVS later when you have room for it. Try the 25-31cs. Then, if you want/need lower extension, you have 45 days to send it back for the cost of shipping charges and get the 20-39cs. Tough to lose on that deal. [​IMG] I wouldn't mind hearing the 25-31 in my room, but am happy with the 20-39.
    Tom/Ron will be along shortly to comment, I'd imagine.
    Have fun!
    ------------------
    --RR

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Mike,
    The CS-Ultra line is certainly "worth" its price, but as you noted if you don't mind dual enclosures, a dual 20-39CS setup will probably be more cost effective.
    We have lots of customers that are contrained to one enclosure, and the CS-Ultra packs just about the punch of dual CS subs. Naturally there are folks too that go with dual ULTRAS. They have "mo better" bass than just about anyone on the planet (certainly in that price range).
    With your stated preferences, I'd say dual 25-31CS's and a Samson amp would blow you away. I still pinch myself when I look at what we charge for that setup. I can't think of anything close in price that can do what that system can do. Robert "Obi" George fell in love with the same system, and he doesn't "love" much in the hardware world.
    As noted if you feel those subs are lacking in any way (you won't) we work on trying something else.
    P.S. We're busy but we're never so busy we can't keep up the dialogue via e-mail if you want.
    Ron

7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

8. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Help me out here for just a moment. I was thinking that a square or nearly square room will have problems unless multiple subs are stacked in one corner.
    Or did I misunderstand how this works?
    (by problems, I mean not be able to realize the full potential of dual subs)
    ------------------
    --RR

9. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Yea, 2 SVS's MAY be pushing it for my setup. Basically, all the corners are taken, although I might be able to squeeze one behind my equipment rack. Perhaps someone could offer advice on placement? See here's my room setup:
    [​IMG]
    Right now my current sub is right under the bed in the middle of the room, which is a pretty bad location (didn't have much choice). I was thinking maybe I could put an SVS on each side of the bed on the back wall perhaps? Many people have been saying that the corner is the way to go, but several audiophiles claim that the corner makes the bass muddy and boomy rather than clean and tight... I just don't know WHO to believe! If I place the two subs on opposite sides of the bed, would I encounter destructive interference? Must I keep them next to each other? What do you guys suggest I do?

10. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Mike,
    Could you move the print cart a little toward the desk and put the sub in that corner?
    Putting one to each side of the bed could work well too. You're giving up a little headroom(compared to corner loading)...but dual SVs in a room this size should have headroom to spare [​IMG]
    I don't think you'll have to worry much about cancellation issues...about how far apart will the subs be(if you place them on either side of the bed).
    TV

11. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

What about combining models?
    I really don't have much of a clue what I am talking about when it comes ot this. And unfortunently don't see being able to get anything for atleast another year or two minimum (gotta wait for those stock options to pay off).
    Anyway the question is this, what about combining say a 16-46 and a 25-31? Thus you could get the capability of super low bass when it was needed, and have the added power of the 25 to help kick ass in the mid bass range (30-70Hz)?
    Or would this just even out to about the same as dual 20-39's?
    Granted it would look a bit unballanced, but it might be a nice ballance, povided that it would actualy give lower lows, and louder mids, then dual 20-39's.
    One other question for the SVS guys.
    Now I am not complaining about the price, because from everything I have heard it is an increadable price, and I believe it, but my question is this.
    Why is the 16-46 $150 more then the 25-31? Is there more to it then the extra 15" of material? Do the tolerences need to be higher? I mean whats the deal? Once again I am not saying that the 16-46 is "to expensive" or anything of the sort. I am just wondering as to what the reason for that big of a price gap is?
    Sorry for the poor wording/spelling,
    1:30 am + differential linear equations do mean things to my head.

12. Tom Vodhanel

Vietor,
    >>>What about combining models?
    I really don't have much of a clue what I am talking about when it comes ot this. And unfortunently don't see being able to get anything for atleast another year or two minimum (gotta wait for those stock options to pay off).
    Anyway the question is this, what about combining say a 16-46 and a 25-31? Thus you could get the capability of super low bass when it was needed, and have the added power of the 25 to help kick ass in the mid bass range (30-70Hz)?
    Or would this just even out to about the same as dual 20-39's?35hz unit...I think 99% of people would immediately feel like the subwoofer is now missing(and it is in a very real sense).
    2)mixing the SVs won't be of much performance benefit...unless you have a small room. Since small rooms have an unusual amount of *room gain* down low...you could conceivably use a 25-31 and a 16-46 and the rolloff off the two models that would start at 25hz(ish)would be compensated for by the room gain effect.
    >>>One other question for the SVS guys.
    Now I am not complaining about the price, because from everything I have heard it is an increadable price, and I believe it, but my question is this.
    Why is the 16-46 $150 more then the 25-31?> Is there more to it then the extra 15" of material?>> Do the tolerences need to be higher?

13. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Tom,
    What I was talking about with the 'lack of sound' in the greater then 30 Hz region, I was not talking about there not being much bass. But rather there not being as much from the 16-46 compared to the 25-31. I am making my judgements here form the response curves that are on your website. And the advice you give people who don't need the really low bass, that a smaller model might give a little more output in the more normal bass ranges.
    But its probably a moot point, the difference being between 'to loud for the neighbors', and 'still to loud for the neighbors'.
    About the price I see what your saying, about pricing between various models. I guess more what I am wondering is what are the physical differences between the models other then the obvious hight difference, and a different port (right?)? So I am sorta wondering what those 'dozen considerations' are.
    I am merely curious as to what goes into a great sub, and what the differences are.
    Sadly I am not going to be a customer anytime in the immediate future (though I suyre would love to be!). Being a college student on financial aid, and who is geting paid by work at a rate of 40 Shares/Hour means I have not a lot of space cash right now. But as soon as that stock starts to pay off you guys will be hearing from me!
    Thanks for your time.

14. Tom Vodhanel

>>>About the price I see what your saying, about pricing between various models. I guess more what I am wondering is what are the physical differences between the models other then the obvious hight difference, and a different port (right?)? >So I am sorta wondering what those 'dozen considerations' are.>I am merely curious as to what goes into a great sub, and what the differences are.Sadly I am not going to be a customer anytime in the immediate future (though I suyre would love to be!). Being a college student on financial aid, and who is geting paid by work at a rate of 40 Shares/Hour means I have not a lot of space cash right now. But as soon as that stock starts to pay off you guys will be hearing from me!

15. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

Any other opinions on address my room setup and subwoofer placement issues? Tom?

16. Tom Vodhanel

did you see my response directly under your post?
    TV