What's new

Differences between SVS 25-31 PCi and 20-39 PCi (1 Viewer)

Chris Sharp

Agent
I am looking into purchasing an SVS sub in the next couple weeks.

I am new to HT and I love movies with explosions that rock the house as much as the rest of you.

I was originally only considering the 25-31 PCi. However, now with the sale I am considering the 20-39 PCi as well. My question is, as a someone who is new to this hobby, will I be able to tell a noticeable difference between the two. I am 60% HT and 40% music. Is it worth the $50 upgrade?

Thanks,

Chris

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
If the difference is only $50, it is, unless you don't want the extra height for esthetic reasons. The 20-39 gives you lower extension, more of that base you can feel but not hear. If you enjoy the powerful low frequency stuff for HT, you will appreciate the difference. Not night and day at all, but worth $50.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Not night and day at all, but worth $50.
I agree. Part with the extra $50 to get that extra extension if you can. If you really do like to feel the explosions in movies, the 20-39PCi ought to do the trick very nicely. If you don't get 20-39, you'll be left to wonder what you're missing out on.
Of course, for an extra $100, you could get the 16-46PCi, and never worry about what your missing out on ever again. ;)

Chris Sharp

Agent
Of course, for an extra $100, you could get the 16-46PCi, and never worry about what your missing out on ever again.
Well that is just evil. I wasn't even considering the 16-46PCi until you said that....

Jeffrey do you have the 20-39PCi?

Thanks,

~Chris

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The difference would only be noticeable if you had both subs in the same room at the same time. Due N's 20-39's sounded amazingly similar to my 25-31PC. Of course that makes sense when you consider that below 25Hz is mostly tactile, not audible. And with the 25-31 I've never felt as if I was missing out on tactile response. If you want the slight headroom advantage of the 25-31 or if you want a physically smaller sub or if you just want to save $50 then don't hesitate. This is one case where bigger and more expensive isn't necessarily better, just different (and only slightly different at that).

Of course $50 is only 10% more.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered the 16-46 Pci last night and I can't wait to enrage my neighbors. I haven't met the local police so I figured it's a great opportunity. :)
Seriously, just last week I was giving it serious thought at $749 and then they dropped the price $150. What a deal.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
if you closed your eyes, could you differentiate the 1 or 2 decibel difference at the upper freq between both subs?

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
if you closed your eyes, could you differentiate the 1 or 2 decibel difference at the upper freq between both subs?
I assume you're talking about the differences between the 16-46 and the 20-39. I don't think you can tell a difference if it's only one or two dBs. However, yes, I do believe that I could tell a difference between the two subs if I performed a blind A/B test. The 20-39PC has a stronger presence in those frequencies. This is characterized by a "punchier" sound. When a bass note hits, especially in music, you tend to feel it in the air more. In other words, it was a more aggressive music sub. That's not to say that the 16-46's can't do much in the upper bass frequencies. It's just that it has a smoother sound, that's easier on the ears. I personally think that this helps it to blend in with your speakers better. However, I know people who like that punchy sound, which makes the 16-46 models not the best for them.
(For what it's worth, the driver upgrade I put in my own SVS turned it into a much more aggressive music sub, with slightly punchier, more present bass.)
Now, if we want to make this hypothetical blind A/B demo easy, let's pop in the Pod Race from the Phantom Menace DVD. It won't take very long to determine which sub is the 16-46 and the 20-39. :)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Guys, don't forget room size plays a role also. I've got the 20-39PC with upgraded driver and in my 25x13x8 room (sub's corner loaded), I can get the sweet spot shaking at reference levels with no problem using TPM's pod race. The walls and windows vibrated and most of the pictures on the walls shook/rattled. I can't imagine what would happen it I were to dial in the sub 4-5db hot or listen to above reference levels for movies. I don't think I'm missing out on extention vs. 16-46 or I don't feel that I need it.

Plunk down your $50 for the 20-39PCi. At $549 is a steal and was $50 cheaper than when I bought mine used (with the old driver!).

Chris Sharp

Agent
Thanks for all the suggestions/responses. While the 16-46 is tempting I don't think it will fit height wise into my room... It might look awkward. Since I was planing on spending $549 on the 25-31 I think it will be worth it to go and snag the 20-39.

My room is 20x18x9.

Thanks again!

~Chris

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I have the 20-39pci and couldn't be happier...for 549, that is quite a steal..It'll be one thing you won't have to upgrade in the future...no buyers blues here:) tl

Jim Hubbard

Auditioning
After weeks of trying to decide what sub to get, I bought the PCI 25-31 yesterday. My final 2 choices were the 25-31 and the 20-39. You have a higher impotance on the home theater than I, I'm 70% music/ 30% HT, so I think you will probably be best off with your 20-39 PCI choice.

Describe the dimensions to the wife and tell her how classy it looks, then get it!

Good Luck!

MichaelJ

Agent
Chris,

It's good to see you going all the way with your sound system.I have not heard any other of the SVS subs,as a matter of fact I didn't hear the 25-31 PCi either until I bought it.I had some people over for a demo one night and we selected the Pod race from Star Wars and I had the volume up to 78 which on my receiver is 3 points from reference level(for demo purposes only).My son got up in the middle and removed two pictures and one mirror,He said they were about to fall off the wall.All I can say is it was tremendous the whole house was shaking and the sub sounded clean and crisp.My point is you can't go wrong with SVS. Michael

Chris Sharp

Agent
My point is you can't go wrong with SVS
Michael,

Thanks for your reply and your positive impressions on your SVS. I am confident I am making the right decision and I look forward to getting it. I will report back after receiving it and getting it setup.

Thanks everyone for your reponses!

~Chris

Chris Sharp

Agent
OK! I just rushed over here from the SVS page. I placed my order just minutes ago for the PCi 20-39.
From everything I read, I am really going to enjoy it.
For those of you who have ordered from SVS in the past...how long did it take before you received the sub?
I hope it doesn't take much more than a week:D
Thanks for all the responses!
Chris

Eric C D

Second Unit
> For those of you who have ordered from SVS in the
> past...how long did it take before you received the sub?
Between the day I ordered my 20-39PC and the day it arrived: 6 weeks. :eek:
But that was over a year ago, and I knew the wait would be long when I ordered. Your's should be on it's way within a few days, and since you're on the east coast it should be there days faster than mine. :D
You-all get a better driver, more power, less of a wait, and lower cost. What are you complaning about? :angry:
But I've had mine for a year longer than you :cool:
The punchline to all this - I still smile at what it does for what I paid for it compared to the alternatives I was looking at. Isn't that the bottom line?
Enjoy,
Eric

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
To add even more choices, you can get the 25-31PCi tuned to 22Hz. According to Tom V. you give up about one dB but it should extend to the 18-20hz range. Not to shabby.

Jay

sean_dietz

Agent
Chris,
I placed an order for the 20-39pci on 6/10
and just received a UPS tracking email saying
it should be delievered on 6/13 :D
(Thats to Indianapolis)
I think I feel a stomach bug coming up late Wednesday....
... is it illegal to stalk Brown??
Sean

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys,

1) in some cases...all it takes is a 0.2 or 0.3dB difference in SPL or a minor FR variation to be audible if you can quickly A/B the two products.

2)all PCi orders should ship out within 2 business days from the order. (usually it's within one...but demand has been pretty heavy lately)

TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks