What's new

Differences between Sony NS700 and NS715? (1 Viewer)

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the Sony NS700 the other day at Sears with their 10% off but I just saw that the new model will be coming out in a couple months so I was wondering if there is going to be a huge difference in the two that I should take mine back and wait for the new one. Thanks

Chris

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Looks like the new model will have different D/A converters:

108MHz/12-bit for video, 192KHz/24-bit for audio in 715 vs

54MHz/12-bit and 96KHz/24-bit for 700 respectively.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know that much about the technical side of this so will I notice a difference in sound hooked up to my receiver or picture hooked up to my nonHDTV Wega? Thanks for any help

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Dang......the MP3 might be enough for me to take it back but still not sure. Must resist the urge.....want instant gratification. I haven't opened it yet so still can get full refund. Does anyone know when this might be out at Sear's. Do they usually come out the same time as online stores?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, just curious, but why are you stuck with the 'NS700P if you open it? I thought Sears would take it back, no matter what. Anyway, Crutchfield says that the 'NS715P is expected in on July 3rd. See the following link:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VP715P&o=m&a=0
Generally speaking, online merchants get products in before the brick-and-mortar stores. The brick-and-mortar stores first receive merchandise at central distribution centers (warehouses), and then the merchandise is shipped on trucks to the stores. This often means that brick-and-mortar stores get merchandise some 2-4 weeks after the mail-order dealers. Usually, when the merchandise is first at the brick-and-mortar stores' distribution centers, the online dealers have it available for mail-order sales (they ship out of their distribution centers).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, let me add one more thing. I am concerned about the build quality of the 'NS715P. I saw the 'NS315 at a store over the weekend and was terribly disappointed with the overall construction. While the disc drawer seemed to be solid, the player was plasticky and practically weightless. The 'NS315 is built decidedly worse than the previous year's 'NS300 and 'NS400D, in my opinion. The 'NS500V is also more solid than the 'NS315. I can't help but wonder if this will carry over to the 'NS415 and 'NS715P. Sony's new players are cheaper than last year's models, and the build quality of the 'NS315 is in keeping with the lower price. Just my $0.02.

As for the difference in video and audio DACs between the 'NS700P and 'NS715P, obviously the 'NS715P looks better on paper. However, it's all in the implementation, and at $200, I wonder if the potential of these DACs will be realized with the 'NS715P.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
How long do I have to take back my DVD player opened to Sears? If anyone knows. I think I may just go ahead and keep the model I have now because I like fronter interface than the new one coming and I have actually never listened to an MP3 CD, also my Wega is a year old now and most likely won't see the difference between the two.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I figure with Sears, you would have 30 days to return anything, even if open.

To add to a point I made above, my concern over the implementation of the DACs in the $200 'NS715P lies especially in the audio department. The cheapest DVD players these days offer excellent video quality, so I would expect the 'NS715P to be suitable in that department. However, audio with budget players is often another story.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies Keith. You made me start thinking and I am a little cautious on how Sony dropped the price by 1/3 in only one year. I don't think technology moded this fast that they are able to produce for much cheaper. And I am affraid that you are right and they cut corners in other areas. I recently bought the level three "Y" package from HTD and I want the sound to be as clear as possible for these so I will probably bite the bullet and keep this. Thanks so much.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, no problem. Glad to help. Just bear in mind that I am speculating about the 'NS715P. However, if you are happy with 'NS700P, stick with it.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Chris,

another thing that 715P may or may not have different is the chroma bug. 700P has it -- and very pronounced, don't know about 715P and unfortunately it's not something you'll see listed in the specs.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dmitry, fair point. The chroma bug is one of those things that some see from a mile away and others don't see know matter what they do, so I tend not to focus on it in discussions. That said, I was not aware that the 'NS700P has the chroma bug bad. Seeing as Sony is going with a new video DAC in the 'NS715P, maybe they addressed this issue.

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
I tested a 700P on my TV once and I didn't notice anything but that is just my eye. I tried the Toy story thing and I am sure it was there but I just can't see it. Also my tv is only a 32" Wega so not everything shows up on it. When do you think some first reviews will come out?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris said:
I tested a 700P on my TV once and I didn't notice anything but that is just my eye.
Your eye is all that matters. It's your player. ;) As for reviews of the 'NS715P, if Crutchfield is right in saying that it will be available on July 3rd, look for reviews here soon after.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks