What's new

Differences between RUSCICO's and CRITERION's Andrei Rublyov? (1 Viewer)

AlbertAgullo

Agent
Just This morning I discovered that my usual DVD related hardware dealer here in Barcelona is Europe's distributor for RUSCICO DVD's (He has almost all the catalogue in stock!!!), so I'm planning to buy THE VIY and ANDREI RUBLYOV.
So... Is RUSCICO's Andrei Ruvliev better than the Criterion one?
(Yes, I know that Criterion's includes an audio commentary and it is not anamorphic. And someone told me that it's a different version)
?
Regards

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Ruscico version is the theatrical cut in the 180m range. Many of the more violent scenes have been excised, but apparently it also uses alternate takes and has some of the scenes arranged differently. Criterion's is the 205m "director's cut", though perhaps original cut would be more precise since I believe Tarkovsky always said he was happy with the theatrical version.
Al Brown has done a much more detailed analysis of the cuts. Some of his and Gary Tooze's work can be found at www.dvdbeaver.com
[Edited last by Brook K on October 23, 2001 at 12:39 PM]

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I haven't yet posted any of my thoughts at DVD BEAVER. The best place to go is this discussion at criteriondvd.com:
[url deleted]
(I'm "Richard Malloy" over there.)
EDIT: It seems that I'm unable to provide a direct link to that discussion - I have no idea why not, but it just doesn't "take". I'll try to send it to you via private message.
EDIT EDIT: Albert, my email to you bounced back with the message "Host abonados.cplus.es not found". I recommend logging onto http://www.criteriondvd.com/forum/
Link Removed
[Edited last by Al Brown on October 23, 2001 at 01:36 PM]
[Edited last by Al Brown on October 23, 2001 at 01:38 PM]
[Edited last by Al Brown on October 23, 2001 at 01:39 PM]
[Edited last by Al Brown on October 23, 2001 at 01:51 PM]

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And I just want to point out that the differences between the two versions are very substantial.

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...ahh... FWIW, and to trouble the waters even further, the IMDb has this to say:
"Runtime: Argentina: 188 / Soviet Union: 145 (even shorter version) / Soviet Union: 165 (shorter version) / Soviet Union: 186 (cut) / Soviet Union: 205 (director's cut) "
. . .
redface.gif
. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks