Differences between Pioneer Recievers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CarlosGH, Nov 10, 2004.

1. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

I'm at a cross road. I recently checked Best Buy's website for the Pioneer VSX-1012K. But I also saw the VSX-1014. The VSX-1014 has a USB port and a control port. Best Buy's website says it doesn't upconvert, but it also says the VSX-1012K doesn't either. Is this a mistake or does the 1014 not upconvert to component/s-video? Is one model better than the other?

What is the purpose of the USB port and is there a web site that can help me use a PC to control the reciever? I would download the manual for the VSX-1014, but my internet is connected at less than 33.6 so to download a manual, or just to open up Pioneer's website would take hours.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Just to clear a few things up... the 1012TX has USB and RS232. The 1014TX has neither. The 1014TX DOES upconvert composite and s-video to components video. The 1012TX is a rebadged Elite 45TX, a two year old model. The 1014TX is a rebadged Elite 52TX, a current model. The 45TX (same as 1012TX) tested in a review a few years back at around 90 watts per channel w/ all channels driven. The 52TX (same as 1014TX) recently tested in a Sound and Vision review at 115 watts per channel w/ all channels driven. It seems the 1014TX has the edge in features and in power while the 1012TX may have a very minor edge in build quality. I recently replaced an Elite 43TX (45TX/1012TX w/out auto-mcacc)w/ a 1014TX and I love the 1014TX and feel it was a true upgrade. Having the S&V tests to prove that it's more powereful as well as already knowing it had better features makes the upgrade feel more and more worthwhile.

I know it's alot of model numbers and accronyms, but I hope this helps [​IMG]

3. CarlosGH

CarlosGH Stunt Coordinator

What is the purpose of the USB port on the 1012? To view pictures, music? Or can you use it to control the reciever with a PC?

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

sorry to jump in, but is there anywhere I can read up about Phoneer Hybrid Amplification?

5. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

6. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering for those of you that have the 1014, does it have OSD and if it does for what purpose is it used for and how does it look/perform?

thanks

Jay

7. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

The OSD is only used for setting up the receiver. I think it looks and performs great. This is my first real receiver and the first thing I thought when I got it was how big and heavy it was. [​IMG]

8. Jarett

Jarett Stunt Coordinator

sounds good!
    when your whatching regular tv do u put on dolby pro logic IIx and make 7.1 surround?

9. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I'm only running 5.1 right now, so I put it on dpl II when i'm watching tv. If I had the 7.1 setup, I would definitely be using dpl IIx.

10. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm also running 5.1 and use PLII for all of my 2ch viewing except musci which i use 2ch direct. If/when I move to 7.1 I will definitely use PLLIIx for my 2ch viewing.