Differences between Paradigm Reference v1 and v2 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brodin, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

Are there any major differences between v1 and v2 of the Paradigm Reference speakers?

-Dan

2. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I think it had to do with:

1: Better cabinet bracing

2: Grill is different with rounded top

3: Improvement #2 helps tweeter's image better

I also think they made a few cosmetic changes in the support feet, but sonically most dealers have told me the differences are too small to notice. I think the price remained the same too, the dealer discount policy which is usually between nothing to -10%.

Which ones were you looking to buy?

3. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I emailed the Paradigm techs and here's what I got:

"-More extensive bracing.

- More refined crossovers and drivers.

- A new, elegant look.

Better sound: now even more neutral, natural, detailed and clear.

- Better imaging: even more spacious and open with more precise localization.

- Better accuracy: timbral accuracy between all models is even tighter for an incredibly

coherent 5.1 soundstage."

My Paradigm dealer however compared V1 w/ V2 when the V2s were first release and they actually though that the V1 sounded better. So it doesn't really matter but I do like the look of the V2 a little bit more. However I have the V1 so I obviously won't upgrade.

4. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

>>>My Paradigm dealer however compared V1 w/ V2 when the V2s were first release and they actually though that the V1 sounded better.

5. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I believe that what they told me was that before the V2s were broken in the V1 sounded much better and after when the V2s were broken in they still felt the V1 to sound a bit better. Of course this is more of a personal taste and I do trust that the V2s would sound better especially in the midrange which if there is ever a weakness int he Paradigms 60s the midrange is it.

Anyways the point is that you really can't go wrong with either. Given a choice of course I would buy the V2s but not if there's a big price difference.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have a pair of both V1 and V2 Titans, and I can say the difference is very minimal. Basically, I don't think I could tell the difference between them in a blind test. Both sound great. [​IMG]

7. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I am using V1 and V2 reference line in the same system and I cannot hear a difference. I can see one though, all my speakers have the real wood veneer Rosenut. And the version one speakers look better, wood all over instead of just the sides. To me this was probably one of the reasons Paradigm released version two. Less wood = less manufacturing cost = more profit.

Just my 2 cents, both sound truely great. I can't imagine upgrading

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Visually, there are a number of differences if that is what the question was...
    The major difference is the plastic rear panel that is on the V2 and not the V1. The panel has mounting holes with metal inserts and the banana posts are straight instead of angled up. The front of the V2s are rounded, while the V1 is a small 45deg chamfer.
    (I actually no longer have my Titan mains in my living room system, I traded them up for some Mini Monitors [​IMG] )

9. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Howard wrote:
    >>>>>which if there is ever a weakness in the Paradigms 60s the midrange is it.