Differences between LCD TV and LCD Computer Monitors?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam Pat, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Sam Pat

Sam Pat Stunt Coordinator

I tried asking this question in another thread, but the database problem deleted it (and I didn't get any responses anyway).

So here's attempt #2.

Does anyone know whether there are differences between LCDs sold as LCD TVs (i.e. Sharp Aquos) and LCDs sold as computer monitors? Obviously, the TV LCDs have the component and other video inputs that aren't available on regular computer LCDs. However, what I'm most interested in is whether the LCD TVs offer a much quicker response time due to the need to display movies. Do they also have much greater colour selection?

For the same sizes, LCD TVs tend to be much, much more expensive.

I'm considering a small LCD which I will be using for video games and movies in my bedroom, and I just wanted to know whether it was worthwhile to spring for a pricey 13" Sharp LCD TV.

If anyone has any experiences with LCD TVs (or even watching movies, etc. on LCD Monitors) your help will be much appereciated. I want to know whether LCD TVs will be quick enough for my gaming needs.

Thank you!

2. Bruce Patterson

Good question - I'm wondering the same, especially since the other thread is offering a 20" LCD TV for $700!

Hopefully, we'll get an answer.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The LCD Tv's come with tuners. The Computer monitors do not. The computer ones also do not generally come with speakers nor are they designed to integrate into home environments ... aka ergonomics.

Computer monitors can scan and refresh faster than TV units since they are not hampered by the 31.75 / 60 limitations of TV's.

Regards

4. Sam Pat

Sam Pat Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

Thanks for the prompt response.

With your answer in mind, I don't think I want a LCD TV at the moment, not expecially when they are even slower in terms of response rate than a LCD Monitor.

Just gotta wait till the technology catches up, I guess.

5. James Fucich

James Fucich Agent

Check out the Viewsonic VX2000. I've had mine for about 4 months and I LOVE IT! VX2000: high performance in a 20" HDTV-ready LCD. 1600 x 1280 res. In my opinion. The only way to go for computer needs, but looks awesome with video.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcd_vx2000.htm

6. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Just because the electronics scan faster does not mean the LCD itself will respond faster.

LCD display elements, although getting faster as the years go by, are still slower than DLP display elements. If the display is not fast enough, motion will blur. This blurring is more likelty to be noticed with small bright objects leaving trails as they move across the screen.

Slow response time of the display is almost never a hindrance for PC applications but can severely degrade a movie.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm