Differences between KV-36FV16 and KV-36FS12 WEGA's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Perry Jonkheer, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Does anyone know what the differences are on these two WEGA sets?? I have been quoted at $1300 for the KV-36FS12 at my local Tweeter store. Should I be considering the other set?? If so, how come?
    KV-36FS12: retails at $1499
    KV-36FV16: retails at $1799
    Thank You.

2. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Hi Perry,
    The KV-36FV16 has a 3D Digital Comb Filter, whereas the KV-36FS12 has a 3-Line Digital Comb Filter.
    Also, the KV-36FV16 has speakers on the sides, instead of on the bottom, for better stereo separation.
    The biggest difference, however, is that the KV-36FV16 has picture-in-picture.
    If these differences are important to you, then get the KV-36FV16. If not, save yourself some money and get the KV-36FS12. The picture quality is a little better on the KV-36FV16, but not by much.
    Actually both are discontinued and have been replaced by the KV-36FV27 and the KV-36FS13. I've ordered the KV-36FV27 myself. The new WEGAs have a dark gray cabinet color, which looks better, in my opinion...

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

4. Perry Jonkheer

So the only difference on the new FS model is the additional wattage for the speakers?? Naturally, this doesn't matter one bit to me. Should I go with the older model and save some cash, or should I wait for the new model? I called my local Tweeter dealer and they said they have no idea when the FS models are coming in. He even said the old FS models are still being ordered. How long before most stores have the new models in stock?
    Thank You.

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

The Remote is new too
    Anyway, if you remember last year, the FS Wegas leaked out in early June and finally went mainstream in late June. Last week, CC had a new FV27 on display, and on Saturday BB had a new HS20 (like the XBR) on display. HOWEVER, none of the employees knew when they'd get the new models in!! Morons ! Anyway, the new Wegas have shipped, and it's only a matter of a few weeks before BB, CC, Sears (who said early July--I guess someone knew), Tweeters and others get the new models.
    Should you buy the new one? I would because it's new! Also, that darker cabinent is to die for IMO. My buddy was all set on a 32FS16 until I told him last month about the new ones. Now he's gonna get a price match on a 32FS17 (cheapest so far: $1015 after S&H, lodgemart.com)
    If you want to do a comparison between FS16 and FS17, here are the links:
    http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...v-32fs16.shtml
    http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...v-32fs17.shtml
    ciao
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List

6. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

WARNING: If you are planning on getting a Sony Wega stand, note that the new models require the new model stand. Why? Because otherwise, the trim pieces will not match.
    Not a big deal in my opinion, but if you are paying well over $100 for a stand, you might as well get the matching one.
    Also, this might be a reason to get the older models, as dealers are probably eager to close out the old stands, before they become white elephants...
    PS In my case, I opted for the KV-32FS12 (I got a very nice price from One Call - I purchased my previous set from them - and, by the way, they say that they will have the 13's and 17's in a couple of weeks). I use DBS satellite and S-VHS VCR using S-Video, and DVD on Component, both of which bypass the comp filter, and I use a Home Theater receiver which bypasses the built-in speakers. The points in the Chuckster link above make sense for those who don't use Analog Cable.

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If memory serves, the FV16 does vertical compression too.
    DJ

8. Perry Jonkheer

I have heard about the vertical compression. An off topic question relating to vertical compression... Does the VC make the picture smaller??
    Thank You.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

No, Perry, all of your scan lines(approx. 480)are in the active picture area with an anamorphic DVD, instead of spread through the whole vertical space of your tube, so you don't lose visible resolution by having some scan lines in the black bars.
    DJ

10. Paul Wu

Paul Wu Stunt Coordinator

Vertical compression only works on dvds that are anamorphic. What happens is that dvd players will output a picture that includes the black bars on the top and bottom so that it can be displayed on regular tv sets. If you set the player to output a 16:9 signal, it will output a picture that fills up more of the vertical portion of the screen, but the characters will look all tall and skinny. What happens is if the right tv set is used, the tv will squish down the picture to the correct aspect ratio.
    For the Sony, all you have to do is go into the tv menu and turn on the 16:9 enhancement, and voila, instant vertical compression. Other brands required the user to go into the serivce menu and change the setting in there.
    I hope that was clear.
    Anyway, all the Wega's have this feature. FS and FV's
    ------------------
    Paul Wu
    "There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count and those that can't."
    Good day, eh, for those that would like to see Strange Brew released on dvd, please click here, and add your name, eh.

11. Allan Mack

The higher models (KV-36FV26 for 2000 and KV-36FV27 for 2001) will do the 16:9 vertical compression automatically when they sense that your DVD player has been set to 16:9 aspect ratio. This only works if you have your DVD player connected via the S-video or component inputs, of course. With the lower-end models, you have to manually select 16:9 compression in the menu...
    The matching stands from Sony swivel on their base, by the way. This is something not mentioned in Sony's literature or website. If I had known, I would have purchased their stand. Instead, I bought another, non-swiveling stand. Oh well...

12. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

I have the SU32FD3 Wega stand. I don't see how it can swivel - and I assembled it myself...

13. Allan Mack

I'm not sure if all Sony stands swivel, but the ones I've seen sure do. In fact, I've even swiveled them myself. But then again, I live in Canada, so maybe the stands are different???
    And yes, they are Sony stands, because they have the Sony logo right on the base, complete with safety strap on the back...
    http://www.sonystyle.ca/webapp/comme...1&cgrfnbr=2249

14. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

Okay, I see the web page - which model are you talking about, and where exactly is the swiveling occurring? [​IMG]

15. Allan Mack

The ones that swivel are the ones with bases wider than the compartment which hold the components (ie., VCR, DVD player, etc.). The base stays stationary, while the compartment (and therefore the TV which is perched on top of the compartment) swivels on the base...
    The ones I saw that swiveled were the ones for the new KV-36FS13 and the 35-inch, non-WEGA Sony Trinitron...
    Hope this helps...

16. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit

In the 32FD3 stand (US model numbering) for the 32" models for the last year, the bottom of the cabinet is the bottom of the entire stand.
    If what you saw was for a "13", then it sounds like the swiveling was added for the brand new model year that is just starting.

17. Allan Mack

Yes, quite true. Sony could have added this feature this year. But it still doesn't say on their website, even though the new TV models are listed...
    http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...v-36fv27.shtml
    Oh well... I'm happy with the stand I bought, even though the swivel feature would have been nice for my non-home theater set-up...

18. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

I bought my KV-36FS12 last July (locally) for $1350. Why so many places are still selling them for over $1400 is beyond me.
    I do like the set. I have done all the service menu adjustments recommeded, including tweaking up the geometry. It's a great pic. I have no use for the FV or higher FS models, for one thing I don't make use of the comb filters, all my viewing is either SAT (S-Video) or DVD (components). All my sound is through my system. PIP has no advantage for me. So the higher FV models offer me no advantage whatsoever. The macro on my remote swiches in anamorphic viewing when I need it.
    The one minor advantage I might gain with the FV, is I understand the tube face a has a more glare resistant coating.
    Until I am ready for the digital plunge, this should serve me well.