Differences between Dolby, DTS Neo 6, and 7 Channel Play

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ruben A, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

Excellent forum everyone. This is my first post. I recently purchaded a Denon 3806 as part of a HT set up and am very happy with the unit. As I am reading the manual and playing with the settings to learn how the unit works I noticed that when I play music if I select DTS neo 6 I get a certain sound, I get a slightly different one when switching to the Dolby setting, and yet a different sound (louder also) when I press the button marked 7ch. I am confused as to why I hear something different for each setting. I also noted that the CDs I have do not indicate that they were recorded and encoded with DD or DTS so what exactly is the receiver picking up as far as a signal? I listen mainly to stuff from the mid 60's to mid 70's such as Cream, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabath, etc..Can someone please help me understand this. Thank you in advance.

2. John S

John S Producer

There distinctly different modes, that is why they sound different.

DTS Neo:6 and Dobly PL / PLII / PLIIx were all designed to work with 2 channel sources, but they are defiently not stereo. They even offer both movie and music modes. For a better description of how they work, I will defere to the Dolby and DTS websites. [​IMG]

7 channel stereo is more or less just 2 channel stereo I think the center is summed though. While not considered technically a good choice, I use it often.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

That both matches my understanding and what my AVR's user manual says.

4. Ruben A

Ruben A Extra

Thank you everyone for your reply. As a follow up can someone let me know then if a CD or movie DVD has either the DD logo or the DTS logo does that mean that the CD has some sort of coding which would make the sound come out differently if the receiver is set to that format? If this is the case then why would a CD from an old recording which was not recorded in either DD or DTS would have a different sound when the receiver is set to either format since there would be no special coding for the receiver to pick up?
    I apologize if these are very basic questions and thank you.

5. John S

John S Producer

A CD? Regular what they call redbook cd.. Is 2 channel only from all I know about it.

But DTS, DPL, DPLII, and DPLIIx will all sound different with it.

I usualy use my all channel stereo for it, which is not technically a good choice. I use near field monitor type speakers I think it helps make it a decent choice.

I let my ears decide though.

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

There are a few CDs that were recorded with a surround sound (DPL) mix. Some are marked and I've discovered a couple that weren't marked but are in fact so encoded.

Ignoring that a CD is going to be a 2 channel mix. That doesn't mean that it won't sound different if the receiver's processing logic is set to Pro Logic or multi-channel stereo or... whatever. With the processing logic in there and 5+ speakers firing its bound to be different -- but that doesn't necessarily mean better at all.

A wise man with a pragmatic approach![​IMG]