Differences between Dish Network and DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin C Brown, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had always looked at DirecTV in the past, but a buddy of mine just showed me a pretty good deal for the Dish Network I get through him. (1 std receiver and 1 PVR receiver, and installation for free.)

I don't see any major differences in channels, and I think I remember that the Dish Network's dish is bigger than DirecTV's. Any big differences in quality, etc? I think I have also heard that DirecTV's customer service is a little better too.

??

Thanks!

2. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I too would like to know this?
    I have directv on 4 sets but Iv herd dish net offers better HD programming.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Here's a different persepective.

I have both DISH and DirecTV (the YES network is only available on DirecTV so I got a basic set-up to complement my HDTV capable DISH set-up). When I've dealt with DISH customer service I have always gotten right through, whereas when I've had to contact DirecTV I've experienced long wait times.

This might be just my experience, but I rate DISH way above DirecTV in Customer Service response. Also, the dealer I got my DirecTV installation from fradulently charged me for some additional equipment and services and I had to go through my credit card to get this rectified. DirecTV was absolutely no help and completely washed their hands of the situation even though they (DirecTV) are the ones who pointed me to this installer in the first place.

The bottom line is that there are good things and bad things with both services. I've had an excellent experience with DISH and I love their 721 dual tuner recorder. Of course, I would also love DISH to become TiVo capable but I certainly would not, at this point, switch over to DirecTV just for that. I'm in an area where CBS-HD is available and I also like the quality of the DISH HD picture.

One thing for sure - I'd never go back to cable after going to satellite. Their track record in my area was, and continues to be, absolutely dismal in terms of quality of signal and service. I was on the phone with them on a weekly basis trying have them correct errors made by their so-called "techicians" somewhere along the signal path. With a satellite (assuming you can get line-of-site) it's basically something that works, or it doesn't. Very little human intervention involved.

5. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    I switched from Dish to DirectTV just a few months ago. I switched becuase of the Tivo machine. It is very important to have a 2 Tuner DVR. That means you can record 2 shows at the same time or watch a show and record another one at the same time. You cannot do that with the Dish (Basic)PVR. I got in the $99 deal with DirectTV for the Tivo and 3 other rooms.

My brother has always bragged about how the Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread. I thought he was crazy, going on and on and on and on.

You know, I think he was right! I cannot tell you how much a difference life is with my Tivo. I never want to go back to non-Tivo life again.

Jeff

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

7. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Or record two shows at the same time and watch a third show that you've previously recorded. I've been doing this with my DISH 721 PVR for over a year now.

8. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

9. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You probably won’t care, but Dish has a far better package for Asian TV and for sports like Cricket.

DirecTV has the package to get all the NFL games.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. Yeah, I was at least going to call them to see what the difference in prices was going to be to get a 2 receiver DVR.

As far as the extra $5, I think, a) it's programming level dependent. (I.e., you pay the $5 if you get the 100 channels deal, but it's free with the 150 channel deal.) b) I might not have to pay that $5 because the info that my friend gave me has no mention of it at all. The only reason why I know about it at all [​IMG] is that I picked up some generic info on the Dish Network, and it is mentioned there.

12. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Before I switched from the Dish to DirectTV, I did call dish network and gave them the chance to keep me as a customer. For me, it would have been much easier to keep the Dish and not switch over. The promotion that they had going on at that time would have allowed me to get their basic PVR that had the single tuner for $99. It would have been an additonal $299 to go for the 721 model that Robert Fowlkes has. That is the model I wanted.

It was explained to me that they were going to charge the additonal $5 a month for all of the new PVR systems that they were coming out with. The older models would be what I would be getting. I did read that there really was not much of an advantage with the new machines as far as the speed of the menus were concerned but it I could get a machine that had 10 to 15 hours less recording time. There was no way to guarantee that I would get the machine with the longer recording time.

So, for the price, the addition of the second tuner and in my opinion the better software to record programs with (Tivo), DirectTV seemed to be a better decision at that time. I am glad I made the switch. The Tivo is really a great addition to my home theater.

We have been able to find old shows and record them when we are sleeping. We recorded Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein simply by putting 'Abbott' in the search engine!!! Really, really cool!

I have not been a fan of Stargate SG-1 until recently and I have been able to record all shows and bring myself up to date with it. I really, really like having the PVR, it will totally change the way you watch TV.

Jeff