Differences Between Director's Cut of Kate and Leopold and the Original?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Scarpa, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Anyone see this in the movies and care to elaborate? I rented it today, predictable but yet enjoyable film, and I watched the Theatrical Cut, not sure if I'll get a chance to peruse the Director's Cut and I'm interested in what's different.

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I saw what is now the director's cut at the press screening for Kate and Leopold. (The film was to come out about two weeks later, and whaddya know, a week or so prior they send out a memo stating that stuff had been cut.) So I've never seen the "theatrical cut". Here's what I recall being the major changes:

I think they eliminated any hint or outright statement that Liev Schrieber and Meg Ryan's characters had been romantically (read sexually) involved since it turns out she's his grandmother, or something like that. They were a former couple in the version I saw.

They cut all or most of a scene where Kate is seen at a focus group for a film. It's kind of ironic seeing as how that's probably who was responsible for the scene being trimmed. Director James Mangold makes a cameo here.

Toward the end of both films we see Kate at that party back in time. In the director's cut, we see her there at the beginning of the film too, tipping off that she will be there at the end.

That's all I recall as being the major differences, which is fairly substantial when you think about it. I'd only experienced something like this once before (saw Teaching Mrs. Tingle on a Tuesday--when it opened on a Friday it had a different ending), but Miramax went and did the same thing with The Shipping News. The version I saw differed in at least a few places from what actually played for the public.

3. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

Is both versions included on the DVD?

4. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

5. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Alex,
    I saw this in Columbus in December right before they were ready to release it. They made these cuts at the very last minute, so apparently it took them a long time to listen to you. [​IMG]

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Mark,
    What is the different ending of Teaching Mrs. Tingle?

8. Alex Morrow

Alex Morrow Stunt Coordinator

You know, the studios should learn to listen to me more. Of course, the movie didn't really make a lot of money. I told them to take out all the times that Liev kept saying "space time-continuum". It was like a bad star trek episode (if there is such a thing). I wonder if they dubbed those out too. I've been meaning to watch it again to see what all they changed from when I saw it. They hadn't done any of the effect shots yet, so you saw Liev hanging from the bridge by a cable from his back along with a few other blue screen shots.

Mark, how did you get in to the screening here in Columbus? I haven't seen a good way to get invited to those. I used to go to everyone when I lived in Denver (a nice bonus to being a member of their film society there).

9. Mark Pfeiffer

Robert, I'm not sure I remember what the ending was for Teaching Mrs. Tingle when I saw it. I intensely hated the film, FWIW, but I did slip in to see how it had been altered. All I recall (if this is correct and I haven't confused the two) is that in the version I saw we see Katie Holmes' character at college reading the story in a writing class, as if she has been telling us the film. I think everyone was dismissive of the events having really happened to her, or something like that. I think the way the film was released it ends at the high school graduation. Does that sound right? I would have thought the different ending would have made it to the DVD.

Alex, I've been reviewing films here in the Columbus area for a little more than five years so I get passes from the PR firm that arranges the screenings. 99.9% of the time I don't see test screenings or works in progress. Kate and Leopold and The Shipping News were extreme examples of films screened for the press (and some members of the public) close to the release dates yet went significant edits afterward. (I also saw a work in progress print of The Sum of All Fears without a finalized audio track for some odd reason. Apparently Paramount was hoping to stir up interest in reporters/critics writing features about its links to real events.)

10. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

One thing I can say about this film was the inconsistancy in Leopolds clothing. He is wearing his cloths from the 19th century when he arrives. Later he has on 21st century clothing. One scene is when he is in Kates apartment. Then later, he has on the 19th century clothes again. I would think he would be very curious about his modern clothing. Also,where did it come from? If they shopped for the clothes, then that scene should have been included in the film. The first time you see him in the new clothes is about 35:00 min into the film.

11. Brett G

Brett G Stunt Coordinator

I just assumed he took clothes from Liev Schrieber's closet. It's not so hard to believe. Besides, his clothes are not important to anything plot-wise, so it didn't bother me at all.

12. Brian Knolhoff

The (relatively) critically acclaimed director's cut is 121 minutes shorter. [​IMG]
    -Brian