Differences between a 4x and 8x DVD burner

Discussion in 'Computers' started by anthony_b, Feb 26, 2004.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Aug 18, 2000
    What's the average time to copy a 4.7 gb DVD+R using a 4x burner as opposed to a 8x. I know that PC specs could make a difference, but a ballpark time would be ok. In other words is there a big difference ?
  2. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Mar 3, 2003
    Personally, I think it would be a big mistake to burn a DVD at 8x. You are likely to run into all kinds of incompatibility issues. Even burning disc at 4x can cause this. When I do DVD authoring, I always burn at 1x to ensure I get a good burn.
  3. EricWG

EricWG Auditioning

Feb 14, 2002
    I have an 8x burner, the price wasn't any different from a 4x anyway. I don't think I've even seen 8x disc's in a Best Buy or the like to buy so I've never burned at 8x. I've had no problems burning at 4x as of yet though. I used to think the same as Mike when it came to burning cd's, but I could never see a difference on a newer cd player so I just started burning cd's at the highest rate of my burner. Personally I don't think the burning speed makes a difference in the quality, its DIGITAL, but I know there are many that think like Mike does. I've yet to prove if burning at 1x is better then 4x, or 8x, so I can't tell you for sure that there isn't a difference. I know with cd's some older players had trouble reading a cdr and that when I burned at 1x it "seemed" to play better, but then again I think the brand of cd mattered more then the speed I burned them at. All I can say is try it yourself and see, I've had no problems burning at 4x yet. I have a liteon dvd burner and the Liteon LVD-2002 dixv/dvd player.

And for the time it takes to burn, at 4x i burn a full dvd at around 15 to 17 minutes, I think it was 25 minutes at 2.4x(the limiting speed of some dvd blanks I bought).
  4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    It takes around 8-9 minutes to fully burn a recordable DVD at 8x speed for me.