1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between 2 MKV files (One works, the other doesn't)

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Ybyb, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ybyb

Ybyb Auditioning

y b
    Hey guys - hopefully im posting in the right place.

i own a Sony bravia 55xd7005 and i'm really confused by something - I'm using the "Video" app to watch stuff on my computer via SMB.
    Everything works really well until i tried watching an Anime TV show, and it said "unsupported file format" - which baffled, me, so i looked through my lib and saw another file, also Anime, also MKV that DOES work.

id like to understand the differences between them and if possible, convert the files that don't work to one that does work, as i purchased this TV for high quality content, and i wouldn't like to miss out.

hopfuly, the info i took from the "Media Info" tab in VLC is enough (the lower one is the one that isn't working).

upload_2017-12-9_18-21-36. upload_2017-12-9_18-22-14.

P.S
    needless to say, both files work perfectly on my computer of course.

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    You're not likely to find much help at HTF figuring out what looks like pirated content.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    +1

4. Ybyb

Ybyb Auditioning

y b
    understood - i do own most of my anime (Whatever i can purchase in my country), but, being relatively old i had purchased these when they came out, and now downloaded newer nicer versions (i got my first 4k tv at the end of 2017 lol)

anyway, i could've just hidden the names of the files, which i didn't - because i have nothing to hide.

so again i ask, for those willing to assist, why is the Bravia TV showing some MKV files and not others?

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    MKV is a container. It holds the content which can be of a variety of codecs and bitrates. This MKV is likely of a file with media parameters hat your TV can’t play back.

In your screengrabs, this is seen in the first has AC3 compressed audio, but the second has FLAC lossless audio. I’m betting the second one doesn’t play and it’s because your TV can’t handle the FLAC audio stream.

You can fix this in various ways, including:

Use MKVToolnix to split our the audio stream(s) of interest, and also a video file with no audio.

Transcode the audio files into a format your TV can handle, such as AC3.

Use MKVToolnix to mux the new audio into the video file.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Or buy a copy from a legit store :p

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    If the OP is pirating material, he should buy it properly.

These issues occur, with the same answers, for legitimate uses with one's own media.

8. Ybyb

Ybyb Auditioning

y b
    Like i said!
    i've nothing to hide, i buy most of my anime and media, stuff that i can get my hands on.
    but yeah, if i have an old copy of an anime that i paid for and a newer comes out i may download it instead of buying it again, as i feel like i've already supported the creators - i think that's fair.

regarding the help, THANK YOU!
    i was also told something about 10BIT 264, looking into that too (since the audio DOES work sometimes but no video)

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That's not how copyright law works.

Purchasing one copy of a title does not entitle you to unauthorized downloads of different copies.

I have tons of movies on DVD in standard definition that I paid for. That doesn't give me the right to illegally download HD copies of those movies later on.

Tino and Blimpoy06 like this.
  10. Ybyb

Ybyb Auditioning

y b
    I know, but it's way better than what many other people do, and i do believe most creators wouldn't mind (and i do know some that don't) - the truth if that I do what i can financially whilst supporting my family.

And if i already purchased the DVD box set of the extended version of LOTR, and now there is a 2k version out (that costs a fraction of what i paid, because i bought it when it just came out) that i can only buy in the states (so i need to travel there) i think it's fine to download it, watch it, and remove.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    HTF Rule 5 (emphasis added)
    Technical question is answered. Let’s move off arguing in favor of pirating material. That gets threads locked and members banned.