Difference 'tween Denon 910 and 1200?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Phil_M, May 12, 2004.

1. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

The way I see it is that the 910 does not have a DTS/Dolby dig decoder. But it has the cable outputs for them. I don;t get it. Can someone splain? My crappy dvd doen not have DTS but has Dolby Dig. So I need to replace it with a DTS capable unit.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 1200 has 5.1 outputs because it has the ability to play DVD-A and SACD. They include DD and DTS decoders for those who wish to ONLY hook the player up using the 5.1 analog outputs. They can also be used for receivers w/ 5.1 inputs but no onboard DD or DTS decoders. Because the 1200 supports DVD-A and SACD it also has superios DACs. The video sections are identical.

To sum it up:

DVD-A and SACD
    5.1 analog outputs
    DD and DTS decoders

If you're not in need of any of these features then go for the 910.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

The 1200 doesn't support SACD. It only supports DVD-A. The 2200 supports SACD.

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The 910 can support both DTS and DD5.1 from the digital outputs only. The 1200 adds 5.1 analog outputs for using internal DTS and DD decoder as well as DVD-Audio. If you have a receiver with DTS and DD5.1 decoder with digital inputs and don't need DVD-audio the DVD-910 is cheaper and is sufficient - they have the same video section.

5. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

OK...I think I get it. Yes, I have a reciever that can handle DTS/Dolby.etc..etc. (HK AVR330) so it looks like the 910 would work ok. I'm just looking to get by with a good player. Since I don't have any DVD-A or SACD dvd's right now....and not planning on it in the near future...the 910 seems like a worthy player for my immediate needs. The wife wants a multi disc player....so the 1815 is also viable. It seems like the 1815 is the multi equivalent to the 910....and the 2815 is the equiv of the 1200. Thanks all for the help.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Everything you just said is correct. If you watch www.ecost.com they often have the 910 for around $100 and currently have the 1200 for $200. They also often carry the 1200 for under $200 but are out of stock right now. These are factory refurbished carrying a 90 day warranty through Denon and ecost is an authorized Denon refurb dealer.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I just picked up a Denon DVD-910 from Ecost for $133 shipped. I was surprised, it came very timely (ordered on Sunday, received on Wednesday). Ecost is a very poorly rated vendor, though (reseller ratings rates them at something like a 5.4/10). Don't expect stellar customer service if you order from them. They shipped my DVD player by just slapping some UPS stickers on the box - no double boxing, the box arrived a little beat up. But the player works very well.

Edit: I did find my DVD-910 does indeed not output blacker-than-black (the hometheater secrets people found that too). Since the description mentions that it does, I emailed Denon technical support to ask what's up!

8. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I also got a 910 last week, mine seems to be fine, and it was double boxed. It did come with a different remote, a remote intended for one of the higher models, but it still works fine. There are no blemishes on the unit at all, and so far it seems to work just fine. I haven't even been able to get it to glitch on a layer change, some reviews I read said it didn't handle layer changes very well, I have not experienced that problem yet. Oh yeah, I've got a Marantz DVD-4100 for sale if any one is interested : )

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I saw some occasional annoying jitter last night. I indeed couldn't get the player to produce blacker-than-black. More testing is needed on the jitter.

10. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Pardon my ignorance, but what is 'blacker than black'?

11. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Here's a good thread that describes it:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ker+than+black

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the jitter I was getting last night than the blacker-than-black. I hope it clears up, or it was a loose connection, or something. The player is still very well rated besides the blacker-than-black.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I got the jitter to clear by re-synching my X1 - switching to video, then back to Computer (480p) input. I'll just have to make sure to turn the pj on after the DVD player - annoying, but doable. Just glad to find a way to get rid of it. Apparently owners of Sony TVs (especially the widescreen ones) are the main victims of the problem.

13. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I take it back, I couldn't get the jitter to go away. Better, but still there. Very irritating. I'll be calling Denon on Monday to get them to authorize a return to Ecost (annoying return policies @ Ecost).

14. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Well, I talked with a Denon rep today, who didn't have any memos on the jitter issue on the 910. There were no firmware updates for the 910 available. He recommended replacing the player.

I called Ecost - they are sending me an RMA # to return the player. I'm considering picking up the DVD-1200 instead. Still thinking about it.

I'd get the DVM-1815 but I'm afraid it is probably too similiar to the DVD-910 internally, and I would end up with the same jittering problem.

15. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I believe the DVD-910 and DVD-1200 are identical in the video section, the 1200 just adds DVD-audio support.

16. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I was hoping perhaps the other units had a different CCS setting, but to no avail. I PM'd the Denon rep that posts on AVSforum and very quickly got this response:

I was impressed with the customer service - he got back to me in like an hour, with a very straightforward answer.