Difference in Sony models?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevinkall, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

What's the difference in these two sets?

SONY KV27FV310
    $599.99

SONY KV27FS210
    $499.99

I can't tell any differences in the two except the $100 price difference.

2. Mark Olton

Mark Olton Auditioning

From what I can see, the more expensive one just adds a bunch of (probably) useless features. Speakers do look better if you'll be using the built-ins. Doesn't seem to come with a remote though?

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

FV models have better sound and sometimes better comb filters than FS models. Also the 16/9 "squeeze mode" for anamorphic dvd is done manually on the FS and automatically on the FV.

4. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Following the usual Sony nomenclature, the V model has more elaborate audio than the S model and it has SVM (scan velocity modulation) which the S model lacks.

Neither feature should be a dealbreaker on the FS210 because 1) if you use the set with an HT system, you won't use the TV's audio and 2) the audio is probably fine in the FS210 anyway.

As for the SVM in the FV310, that's a feature many people feel degrades the image quality and they prefer that if a set has it it's possible to turn it off or at least greatly attenuate it.

Weight, dimensions and inputs for the two sets are identical. Power consumption is 185 watts for FS210, 190 for the FV310. Both sets have two-tuner PIP.

The comb filters do vary, but both are good, with a 3-line circuit in the FS210 and a "3-D" circuit in the FV310. In all but the composite-video input modes, the comb filter is bypassed so in most cases it will make no difference anyway.

I own a KV-27S46 (the "S" series as opposed to the "V" series) and PQ and audio are both excellent. Even cranking the soundtrack of the Gimme Shelter DVD, the audio from the 27S46 was great. Now, it makes no difference because all my TV audio goes through an A/V receiver.

According to the onecall site, the FV310 only has a 90-day labor warranty (one year on parts) while on the FS210 its one year on both parts and labor. You should check that out on the Sony site if you're considering the FV310.

Frankly, I would save the $100 (from list price) and go with the FS210.

I would also consider an EDTV- or HDTV-monitor. Some of the EDTV-ready sets overlap these Sony's in price. You can get a 30-inch widescreen HD-ready set for about $800.

5. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback! Iver thanks ALOT for your post! Tomorrow I'm going to check both sets out.