Difference between the ROTEL RMB-1075 and RMB-1095 Amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan Salzman, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Bryan Salzman

Bryan Salzman Auditioning

Jan 18, 2003
    I was wondering if the only main difference is the power output..... or is there a difference with the QUALITY of sound of music and theater between the two amplifiers?

My system is....
    B&W DM603 mains
    B&W DM601 Rears
    B&W CC6 center
    ACI Titan ll sub
    Yamaha RXV-2095 is my existing Receiver/Pre

(Which ever I choose, I was also wondering if ether of the two Rotel Amps is a Significant upgrade from the Yamaha RXV-2095 in sound quality. I already know it is a improvement with power)
  2. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

Aug 29, 2002
    I don't have much experience with the 1095, but I just purchased the 1075 in a somewhat similar setup as yours. I'm using an RXV-1300 as a pre/pro with B&W 602's as mains. There is of course much more volume as well as a "smoother" sound to the whole system -- as if the receiver was underpowered -- also much more "punch" in the mids/bass. My wife noticed a difference which actually surprised me.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the 1075, I plan on upgrading my mains to the CDM 9NT in the future.

Here is a snippet from a review:
    ..."The 1075 oozes confidence and controls all aspects of soundtrack reproduction with a vice-like grip no matter what the playback volume. It falls a tad short of the RMB-1095 in terms of sheer forcefulness, but that really only becomes a factor if you have a terribly difficult load, Magnepan for example. I paired the 1075 with loudspeakers both large and small and aside from minor misgivings about the Rotel's lower midrange control with a set of B&W Nautilus 804, the 1075 never failed to deliver..."

Many reviews, just enter rmb-1075/95 +review in your search engine.

Good luck,

3. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Dec 10, 2002
    I never tested a 1095 in my system but went with the 1075 based on my dealer's recommendation. As you probably know, the 1095 is twice the price and twice the weight of the 1075. Although it is more forceful, my dealer recommended the 1075 for a start with a home theater set-up and recommended a separate two-channel amplifier for future consideration (1080 or 1090) for the mains. He said he sells the 1075s at a 20 to 1 ratio greater than the 1095s.

I originally tried the 1075 with my old Yamaha HTR-5280. The power was improved considerably (more authoritative, punchier) but I can't say it made much difference in the character of the sound. I tend to think the processor has more of an influence on the warmth or brightness of audio than an add-on amplifier does. For example, if you aren't happy with bright sound some experience with Yamaha receivers, it won't go away with extra amplification. One thing that intrigued me about the Yamaha receiver was that it sounded weak in two-channel stereo but sounded great for home theater use and for five-channel stereo--almost like it was begging to be driven hard. I never was happy with the two-channel audio performance so went with a Denon receiver as a pre/pro to match my speakers better.
  4. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

Jan 3, 2001
    I had spoken to Rotel about this a while back and they stated they used the same amp circuits with much larger power supplies and filtering in the 1095. Also the 1095 has more output devices per channel than the 1075.
  5. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

May 20, 2002
    I am deciding between 1095 and 1075 too, and maybe B&K Reference 7250. According to the Rotel website, the spec differences between the two amps are:

Damping Factor: 400 v.s. 180
    Transformer: 2.4 kVA v.s. 1.5 kVA
    Capacitor: 8x15,000uF v.s. 8x10,000uf
    Output Device: 30x15 Amps v.s. 20x15 Amps

The above information might help you. I do not know if the damping factor of 180 on 1075 will affact sound quality because it is kind of low comparing to other amps. I would like to know it.