Difference between Sony Wega XBR and HS models?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Jan 29, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've been wondering what the difference is between the Sony Wega XBR TVs and the new HD-compatible HS line? It seems like the new HS line overlaps the XBR, providing the same features but for a slightly lower cost.

So what's the deal?

2. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

There are a few differences between the HS/HW and the XBR's. First off the XBR's are in a 16:9 format like the HW series of the sony's. The HS's are 4:3 format. The XBR's have 5 lens elements rather than 4 on the HS and HW. They also have a built in HD tuner. Also has a built in dolby digital processor with 80 watts of output. Just connect speakers.

You should get a brighter picture from the XBR as well as the ability to pick up a HD signal without a STB.

Mike

3. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Well, there are also 16x9 HS models, so your thoughts are off on that. On the 16x9 tv's, my understanding is the XBR has a built in HDTV tuner, the HS does not. There may be some other small differences, but that is the big one that I know about.

4. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

XBR's have 3:2 pulldown, Hs's do not. Both are also available in 4:3 ratios, contrary to one poster's observations.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Hrmmm...now I'm more confused [​IMG]
    I should have clarified, that I was thinking of the direct-view TVs (normal, tube TV). In which case both HS and XBR are available as 32" and 36" 4:3 models (no lenses invoved). Neither model has a built-in HDTV tuner (according to online retail info).
    But it looks like only the XBR has the "Cinemotion" 3:2 pulldown feature.
    Is that the only difference, the 3:2 pulldown?

6. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Dave,

In the 4:3 models, I'm pretty sure cinemotion is the only difference, though there may be slightly different components inside the tv. Cinemotion should be the only difference feature-wise though.

7. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

There is also the 34" XBR 16:9. I apologize for my earlier post I was referring to rear projection units.

Mike

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    No problem, Mike. I realized when I read the responses that there are the 16x9 direct views and the XBR RPTV models. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the input. I hope to buy a new TV in about six months. The Wegas are on the short list. And the similarites between the HS and XBRs perplexed me.

9. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Mike,

Ok, now I see what your post was referring to. Shoulda figured that myself. Thanks for clarifying.

10. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

I actually asked my store's Sony rep about this last time he was in, it was confusing me too. As for the tubes, its the Cinemotion 3:2 correction, and a schnazzier cabinet. That's it. Personally, I'll stick with the HS for the price.

11. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have the 36XBR450. I chose it because it was the "top of the line" at the time. The XBRs have a very nice remote control and the 3:2 Cinemotion. Some people claim that an interlaced DVD player viewed on the XBR with Cinemotion looks better than many Progressive scan players. If you don't have a progressive scan player, or don't plan on getting one soon, that may be another reason to go for the XBR.