difference between players: dvd audio, and dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Whitney B., Nov 7, 2002.

1. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

I recently went in to VideoOnly and was looking at their dvd players. Some are labeled for dvd audio. I was told by an employee that only some dvd players with play dvd audio in true 5.1
    I was told that they have separate outs for each channel and a optical or coax can't carry the true discreet signal.
    This doesn't sound right to me. The price is considerably more for these players and I know that my $160 refurbished 3 year old pioneer off of ebay plays dvd audio no problem. And each channel is discreet through either a coax or optical connection.
    can someone please clarify, or just tell me that the employee didn't know what they were talking about?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Whitney, what you read about DVD-Audio is correct. DVD-Audio is a high-resolution audio format (better than CD) that offers 5.1 surround sound in addition to stereo tracks. You have to have a DVD-Audio player to take advantage of this higher-resolution capability (DVD-Audio players also play CDs and DVD-Video discs). Note, however, that the vast majority of DVD-Audio discs contain either a Dolby Digital or DTS track for playback on a DVD-Video player. These DVD-Video-compatible tracks do not match the resolution of DVD-Audio. You can play a 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS track off a DVD-Audio disc on your DVD-Video player, but you are not observing the high resolution of DVD-Audio. Your DVD-Video player does not have the decoder needed to play DVD-Audio discs.

DVD-Audio tracks can be played through a DVD-Audio player's digital outputs, but the information is downsampled to either 16/48 or 24/48 (I don't recall which). This means that you are degrading the signal when using a digital output. There are two key reasons for this. The main one is that downsampling represents a form of copy protection by making the full-resolution digital signal unavailable. To further prevent copying of the digital signal, many DVD-Audio discs are "watermarked", meaning that a code is embedded in the digital signal that copying devices cannot decode. Watermarking is optional in the DVD-Audio format, but most, if not all, Warner discs are watermarked. The second reason for downsampling is that pre/pros and receivers lack the decoders necessary for DVD-Audio, though this is another consequence of the copy-protection issue.

Finally, DVD-Audio players are now available for around $200. Take a look at the Pioneer DV-656A, Toshiba SD-4800, and Panasonic DVD-RP82 and 'CP72.

I hope this information helps.