Difference between NTSC & PAL calibration?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marc*F, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Will there be much difference audio/visual if I calibrate my HT with Digital Video Essentials NTSC and mainly watch PAL DVDs?

2. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

I would also like to know, but rather the opposite...I have a PAL (and NTSC compatible of course) TV, and I watch mostly region 1 NTSC movies...Should I buy the PAL or the NTSC version of Digital Video Essentials ?

3. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

I would also like to know.

I didn't know that there was a PAL Video Essentials!? Where can you get it from?

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

There aren't any significant differences.

The video for both 525-line* (NTSC) and 625-line* (PAL) DVDs conforms to the international video specification ITU-R BT.601. This standard specifies that the voltages used for the video signal are identical for both 525-line and 625-line formats. The only significant difference between the two is the number of scan lines.

ITU-R BT.601 specifies that video black is stored with a voltage of 0 mV and video white is stored with a voltage of 750 mV. It also specifies that the Cr Cb color difference signals are stored within a 700 mV signal bandwidth and have values between -350 mV and +350 mV.

Note that the DVD format *does* vary from ITU-R BT.601 in the number of scan lines stored. For 525-line only 480 lines are stored compared to the 486 lines specified (two lines per field are omitted from the top and one line per field is omitted from the bottom). For 625-line 576 lines are stored, but the lines are sampled starting one line lower than specified in the 601 spec.

So, other than the number of scan lines, you should definitely be able to use an "NTSC" format disc for calibration.

-greg

*Note: I use the terms "525-line" and "625-line" as technically the terms NTSC and PAL only refer to the composite analog variants of the format. Once you enter the component (analog or digital) domain, the NTSC and PAL terms are technically incorrect. (For example, the NTSC format is specified in SMPTE-170M. One specification for PAL is called ITU-B.)

5. Martin Jeeves

Thanks!

I always thought that PAL looked darker than NTSC. I always bump up the brightness and / or contrast when I watch PAL in comparison to NTSC. I also think that NTSC is more erm... vibrant while PAL is more erm... muted. I guess it varies from film to film though.

6. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Martin: technically there shouldn't be any difference from a signal level, but it is possible that either the player or the television (assuming a standards conversion is taking place) isn't doing a good job.

Note that there can be differences in color, but these aren't directly related to the format. There was an interesting survey done about a year and a half ago with a large group of colorists worldwide. The survey found that there are distinct differences in color grading in different parts of the world and even in different parts of the US. The survey found that colorists on the west coast of the US tended to grade warmer than those on the east coast of the US and much warmer than those in Europe.

(The survey was done by sending the same 35mm footage to colorists at major facilities in each major market and asking them to color correct it.)

-greg

7. Martin Jeeves

Wow! That is interesting.

8. Martin Jeeves

Where can I get a PAL Video Essentials?

9. Michael Qualen

Michael Qualen Stunt Coordinator

You should be able to get a PAL version from just about any region 2 retailer...

10. Marc*F

Marc*F Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info [​IMG]

So basically the difference is minimal...