Difference between music sold in 5.1 DTS format vs. playing 2-channel music usi

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jack x, Jul 18, 2002.

1. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

Sonic Difference between music sold in 5.1 DTS format vs. playing 2-channel music using Dolby Pro Logic II

Hi,

I have seen music sold in 5.1 DTS or Dolby digital format I guess on DVDs. I am assuming this is different than DVD-audio. How is this different than playing 2-channel CD in dolby Pro Logic II (DPLII) mode? I thought DPLII was supposed to simulate 5.1 DD with 2-channel sources.

Is this for those without DPLII?? What am I missing here?

Thanks!
    jack

2. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I don't have a 5.1 music disc (DVD-A, DTS, or SACD), but I think you have it backwards: DPLII is for those who don't have a 5.1 disc and the appropriate player.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jack, I am far from an expert on this and my answer will be a guess, or an approximation.

Using DPLII to simulate a 5.1 soundfield from a two channel source still uses the sampling rate of the original source which for PCM based CD's is inferior to that used by DVD.

The DTS encoded 5.1 disks are different than CD's in that they use a higher sampling rate than CD, but lower than SACD or DVD-A. So, in a gross oversimplification, they will sound better than the typical CD, but will sound inferior to the new higher resolution formats.

There simply is more information on a SACD or DVD-A disk than on a DTS 5.1 disk, and also more information on a DTS disk than regular CD.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I have the right idea.

4. jack x

jack x Stunt Coordinator

MichaelAW,

Since I have DPLII, why should I then spend $20 for music in 5.1 format? Shouldn't the music I already have on CD sound similar to if I bought it in 5.1?

Thanks
    Jack.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Music sold in 5.1 has dedicated tracks. The mix is done by professionals who are intimate with the music and the master tapes. Some of them have input from the original artists as well. Using a matrixing machine like DPL is a poor substitute- it is artificially creating extra channels.

6. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

DPL II is still a matrixed surround sound system. All of the rear and center channel information is electronically derived from the stereo signal to simulate 5.1 channel sound. These matrixed systems work better with material "encoded" for such use - stereo CD's are not normally encoded. What you are listening to is an artificial surround field that "simulates" surround sound.

Sort of like the surround sound equivalent of those artificial stereo discs from the 50's and 60's.

DTS 5.1, DD5.1 and SACD and DVD-A surround are totally discreet - each channel has it's own specific set of information. For example, on Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, Freddy Mercury's lead vocal is in the front center, the overdubbed background vocals are split in the rears. Most of the instrumentation resides in a stereo sound field across the 2 front speakers, with the occasional guitar line coming from the rear right (sometimes the rear left). Playing the CD through a DPL II decoder will not produce that sound field.