What's new

difference between klipsch rf-3II and rf-35 (1 Viewer)

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
I Know the rf-35 series took the place of the rf-3II series, but is there actually any difference in them? I dont know if they are voice matched, but im assuming they are. Would it be bad to run two different series together in the same system? I was thinking about using a rc-7 center channel with the rest of the rf-3II line since the center is really the "main" speaker used for voice dialoque.

Rick-S

Agent
From what a salesman told me, the new drivers are slightly better. In addition, the driver in the RF-35 is front mounted as opposed to rear mounted in the RF-3II. According to him, this will produce better sound. I listened to both and to me they sound similar.
I am using the RB-75's which have the same horn as the RF-7's and my center speaker is the RC-3II. I emailed Klipsch about the mis-match and they said that it would be fine and cause no problems as far as timber matching was concerned.

I eventually would like to get the RC-7 just because it is superior to what I am using.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
They are similiar from what I have heard too. I haven't heard the RF3's but I have heard the RF-35 and they were very nice.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
There is very little difference in sound between the RF-35 and older RF-3IIs.
I purchased an RC-35 center to use as a center with my RF-3IIs ..mixing and matching the old series with the new is just fine because they are a very close match.

On the other hand the RB-75, RF-5 , RF-7 and RC-7 dont really match the above speakers because they use a larger and much different compression driver.

I would not use an RC-7 with the RF-3IIs.

Rick-S

Agent
Why don't you email tech support at Klipsch (see www.klipsch.com) and ask this question.
That would be straight from the horse's mouth!!
They will answer you within 2-3 days.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

The RF-35 and RF-3IIs are vitually identical in every regard except the RF-3IIs compression driver is crossed abit lower and it uses slightly different drivers.
The driver orientation is the same on both speakers and both are rear ported.
The RF-3II have a slightly higher power handling rating, have a slightly bigger cabinet and are a few pounds heavier.

I have heard them both and they sound identical to my ears, if anything the RF-3IIs are slightly better because
of the larger cabinet, lower crossover point and higher power handling.
Klipsch decided to raise the price to $1000 on the RF-35 while the RF-3IIs were only $850 msrp , they were forced to do this because the Synergy line at BB is taking on the old Reference pricing as the new SF-3s are $850 a pair.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Better yet, give them a call. They will tell you that they are very closely matched.

Now as I stated the RF-35s and older RF-3IIs are very similar the older RC-3II and new RC-35 are quite different, the newer center is better IMO because its
ported and has a tapered xover instead of a basic 2 way like the old RC-3II had.

The newer bookshelf are also improved , especially the RB-25 compared to the older RB-3. The latter was never really suitable for surround duty as a wall mount because it was rear ported , the RB-25 are front ported and have the wall mount hardware built onto the cabinet...these are excellent surrounds for someone who prefers a direct radiator and is tight on space.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I was reffering to the match between the older RF-3IIs and newer RF-35s and the rest of the mid line.

The upper end line does not match with the mid series line.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Oh and I dont know what number you are using but I get thru every time with no problems, they are very CS oriented in my experience.
The number is..
1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I've never had a problem getting through to Klipsch as well either. One time I did leave a message and I received a call about 15 min later. I think their customer service is excellent.

BradleyS.

Stunt Coordinator
well I think i'm just going to go with the rf-3II because there slightly cheaper than the rf-35's and theres basically no sound difference. I'll use the extra money to put towards a svs pb2-isd.:)

Rick-S

Agent
Wise decision!!

A SVS is on my wish list too.....hopefully very soon. You will enjoy your RF-3II's.

Rick-S

Agent
I have RF-3IIs on the mains, RB-25 surrounds
James, I envy that you have the floor/wall space to use bookshelves as surrounds!
I have lattice work on one wall so I have to go with something that mounts from the crown molding.
What do you think about the RS-35's as L/R surrounds? My only hesitation is that I want localization and not wide dispersion. I am sure you are aware that the tweeters are mounted at 180 deg angles with the woofer in the middle at 90 deg.
Do you think I would still hear the L & R speakers rather than a dispersed sound?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks