What's new

Difference between JBL speakers? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hey Laszlo, just responded to you in the other JBL thread. :D
With that plan, you should look at the S412II. They're a bit pricier, but if you think you're going to go without a subwoofer, that'd be the option I'd take, especially with a 70% music mix and only 30% HT.

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mark!!!!! But that is out of my budget. Hmmm, maybe I'll replace the S312II's with S36II's and a sub. I still like better the towers.

Laszlo

johnny-t

Auditioning
Well, I finally plunged into the JBL market (with 2 feet).

Got the ND310IIs with N24IIs for the surround and an S-CentreII along with the PB12 for good measure. All of these items were clearance and the 310s and PB 12 were display models. I got the entire set for $820+ tax

After reading through this thread, I am now marginally concerned about a few issues I hope you guys can address:

1. Should I return the S-Center II for an N-Center for compatability reasons (it will also save me apx. 70 bucks)?

2. Seems like the PB12 is not that reliable, but it was only $250. Worth taking a flyer on?

3. Yes, those 310s ARE huge, and in the store, I'd have to say the N38s sounded as good. I just figured it only cost 40 extra bucks for the 310s. Was it worth it?

Thanks!,
John

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
I have S38's in front with an S-Center and S36's in back and it is a great combination. I have 2 Tempest based subs for bass. My S36's are stand mounted since I have an asymmetrical setup in my room. They are wall mountable and should "disappear" if you can set them up that way. I would not go to the smaller rear for both sound matching and power handling reasons. I have "popped" the woofers on the S36's once at real high volume even set to small . Good Luck.

Ken.H.C

Auditioning
I am reviving this fascinating JBL "n" thread to ask about how this conifig looks:

- Harman Kardon AVR125 receiver
- JBL NSP1 set (4-N24 Sats, 1-N Center)
- Sony WM40 (is that the right one?)

I keep reading how the Harman Kardon power specs are "under" specced. Is this a good match?

I am nearly 99% set on getting the AVR125 receiver as it is going for around $250 at J&R... these 2 speaker systems have become the main competition to the JBL/Sony combo above:

- Energy Take 5 Plus 1
- Acoustic Research HC6

I have just expanded my budget from sub $500 to $700 (speakers and receiver only).

BTW, my experience in the past couple of weeks that I've been just starting to shop around is not good from the standpoint that the Circuit City and Best Buy branches near me have horrible demo setups. Best Buy's JBL demo station was not fully connected... seemed like Circuit city's demos where geared towards selling u more Polk and Bose as those were setup nicely, the rest crappy (no AR demos at all) ... just my experience. Then of course we know none of these 2 big retailers carry Energy Takes... doin some searching in the Westchester, NY area...

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
Just a heads up Ken. You might look here for the NSPII set for 199.95 with free shipping. They are an authorized dealer for JBL. Out of stock right now, but should have more in 3-7 days looks like. i'd look at here for the AVR-125 . Buying it right through harmanaudio gives you the warranty. You can also get it for right at about $245 shipped. I have the AVR-120 and love it. Got it from them. You may also consider the Denon AVR-1803 for 300 shipped. Sweet deal. They also have the 1603 for 225 shipped. 6th ave is an authorized Denon dealer. That would leave you a fair amount of money for a subwoofer. Can you do a DIY sub? If so, you can build a nice one for under $300. If you have a K's Merchandise local, they usually have the 12" sony for like $130 to $150. Just some thoughts as I'm up way to late tonight. 2 AM here as I'm typing this.
:)

Ken.H.C

Auditioning
Jason, I had problems in responding to your last email... so here goes:

I live in a townhouse style condo and the living room is small....
one of those so-called "big rooms" where the living/dining room are
connected. The actual living room space is about 18x8. I was
considering the 75 Watt Sony Sub (SAWM200) for $99.
I don't expect to blast my neighbors out of the water... just appreciate
a good movie in surround. Of course, good sounding music is a given. Is this 75W Sony underkill???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks