Difference between JBL speakers?

Angelo.M

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Tray:
I think it's a very good setup, although I don't have any familiarity with the subwoofer you've chosen.
I don't see a huge problem with the N24s in the rear; you might want to buy them from a dealer with a return policy, in case you're not happy with the match. My guess: for most theater purposes, you won't be horrified using the N-series in the rear with the S-series up front. If you're doing something like 5-channel stereo, your mileage may vary.
I like your choice of the H/K with the JBLs, which has always been a great match to my ears. I've always found that H/K, Marantz and NAD match up very nicely with JBL, while Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony and Denon tend to not fare quite as well. Let us know how it sounds.
Andre:
Aren't the S38ii's sweet?
--AM

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Tray,

I understand what everyone tells me about timbre matching but the regular cabinet S26 or any of the cabinet speakers JBL makes seems too large for my wall space. I am thinking of eventually getting the S38's that are for surround. I will upgrade the fronts to S38's at that time as well. I just don't want to spend the $$$ right now.
The only other suggestion that I could give you is to consider the Nseries completly, the N26 or N28 are very good speakers and if you want a little more you could go with N38, and will be timbre match with the N24.

Well any way you go with JBL you will only win.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
HK AVR520
S26II's Front L/R
SCII Center
N24 Rear L/R
Dahlquist PDQ1500 Subwoofer

I just don't want to spend the $$$ right now.

What do you think if this setup?
Your setup should work fine, though I'm also not familiar w/Dahlquist PDQ1500 Subwoofer. If you can, turn off the Dahlquist x-over (if not, Dial it to the MAX position), and let the HK AVR520 handle the x-over chores.

Phil

Tray

Stunt Coordinator
After speaking with several shops I have found out the following.
The new NII series use different components than the regular N series center channel. I was told this by 2 different shops. It came up specifically when I mentioned the NSP1 set. Any truth to this?

Tray

Stunt Coordinator
PS...

Wrong forum but can you guys recommend a decent DVD player that can also play cd's? I have a Toshiba cinema series TV mode 36x81.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
...new NII series use different components ...
The official word (via JBL Customer Service email*) is that the changes are mostly cosmetic; driver cone finish, extra tweeter protection, slightly altered enclosure dimensions on some models. Interestingly, the biggest change is the Northridge N26II, which now uses a wood enclosure over the molded plastic enclosure similar to the N24II speaker.

So sonically, the NSP1 vs. NSP1-II will be identical after you break-in the speakers (about 2 months).

*You can email them yourself from their website.

Phil

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Angelo.M
I can't explain it. I guess it's how we all perceive sound differently. I was shocked actually, as I was originally looking at the S series. The N's were right next to them, so I switched between them. I switched between music & movies as well. Maybe I prefer that "laid back" type of sound as you describe.
I often find it hard to decipher what folks say when they are describing sound, espeically since I'm not much of a critical listener. I just know what I like

I've heard people refer to "bright" sounding as "tinny" before, and "tinny" is what I can best describe for the S to MY ears... almost like the trebble was turned up and the bass was turned down.
Everyone's milage WILL vary!

Mike D.

Angelo.M

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Phil:

FYI: My JBL NSP1's @ my vacation house works extremely well with my Yamaha R-V905...
I love it! "FYI"!

These are speakers and receivers we're talking about here, not Soylent Green.

Just kidding...

At any rate, I didn't mean to imply that there was something wrong about pairing Yamaha with JBL. To my ears, Yamaha's 2-channel sound, even in the high-end of their product line, is a bit thin, and the JBL accentuates that tendency. I feel the same way about Sony and Onkyo, having owned both for over a decade. H/K, Marantz and NAD tend, again to my ears, to have a fuller, warmer (I'd even go as far as to say 'less precise') sound, which contrasts nicely with the very accurate sound of the JBL speakers. When I purchased my S38iis for music and N38iis/N-Centerii/N24iis for theater, I went with an NAD for the Ss and an H/K for the Ns. These are matches made in heaven, to these ears at least.

I happen to think that Yamaha makes great receivers, which in my opinion are better suited to home theater purposes than to 2-channel music. I'm glad you like your Yamaha!

Andre Aguiar

Agent
Tray,
I mounted the S26ii on the same stands as I did with the S38ii. If I were to mount them on the wall it would be too high. The fronts are at ear level. The center and surrounds would be at the same height 2 feet above. If you think about it it wouldn't look feasable (remember the WAF rating!!!).
As soon as I get access to a digital camera (or pick up some film and get it developed, which ever comes first) I'll be sure to post some snaps.
Angelo - the S38ii kick some booty. I'm still in aw. I like to see peoples faces when I audition the speakers to them. Wife thinks I'm showing off. I don't know what she means.

Angelo.M

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Mike_D:

I've gotten to the point where I no longer trust my ears auditioning speakers unless they're sitting in my home, connected to my receiver which is playing a reference CD that I am very familiar with (I never demo speakers with movies as a source), and placed in the way they would be if I owned them. Best Buy/Circuit City-type stores are awful for auditioning speakers; the boutique-type shops are just as bad, but for a different reason (at least, the ones in my area use amps and CD players which are orders of magnitude more exotic and expensive than I use).

So, I buy everything in pairs, and A/B compare them at home. Tends to be annoying, cumbersome, inefficient... But I'd rather go through the hassle and be certain I love the sound.

Ludwig Crumb

Agent
How does the S26 compare to the Acsend CBM 170? I was thinking of going Ascends all the way in a 5.1 set up with the HSU sub, but the idea of S26 + center + svs sub is intriguing.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I cant speak about the Acsend because I never audtion them, but I do have four S26 and S center with an SVS 25-31PCi which for me is the best combination under $1000.

The S26 have very good mid-highs, and the sub blends very nice, a great setup for movies and music.

Boris_V

Agent
What do you guys think, how would the JBL S310II for L/R and JBL S Center II compare to the B&W 603 S3 for L/R and LCR 600 S3 for center? Which speakers are superior? If i look on their prices, the B&Ws seem much more capable, but what's the reality?

Angelo.M

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
What's the reality? My friend, your reality is your own. You really need to compare them in your home, connected to your equipment.

Which...

...I have done. Absolutely, the B&W 603s outperform both my JBL N38iis and my JBL S38iis when powered by the same amp. The soundstage is more spacious and the sonic detail seemed more alive to my ears. However, we're talking about a substantial price difference, which wasn't worth it, to my ears. In fact, I purchased both the N38s and S38s for less than a single pair of the 603s.

Your mileage will vary...

-AM

Laszlo

Stunt Coordinator
So let me ask a questions guys, I'm in the same boat here, trying to get the best set up. I really like the towers since I will be hearing 70% of the time music so my choice will be: I have very limited space for my front speakers( the TV is sitting at a corner od the room), the S312II's will fit just fine beside the TV about 6 ft apart since the S38II's are wider that would be my choice with the S-center for mains and for the rears maybe the S36II's. Do I still need a Sub? Shopuld I change the rears for S26II's?
The problem is that my room layout is really bad, I have to watch from the other side of the room, the other corner. How would you guys mount the speakers there? There is a sectional right at the wall in that corner.
Thanks for any comments.
Laszlo

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therma123