difference between H/K 125 and 225

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by kuttaS, Jul 23, 2003.

1. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

i read the specs for both receivers and the only difference i can find is the extra 10 watts of the 225. is that the only real difference??? plz help me because i am planning to buy one of the two and want to make the right decision

2. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

The 225 looks like it has a little nicer remote and has On Screen Display which can be a big plus. The 125 does not have OSD. Other than that it looks like the 225 has an extra A/V and S-video input (5 vs 4) and programmable power on volume which probable aren't real biggies for most people. So for me ,I'd say the OSD might be a consideration.

3. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

pay $100 more for OSD??

4. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Well I guess that's up to you but have you ever tried configuring an A/V receiver without OSD? It can be kinda tricky. But, yeah....I agree $100 bucks extra just for OSD kinda sucks! Maybe you should look for a receiver in the same price range as the 125 that has OSD included.
    If you're looking to buy from onecall.com I'd be looking at the Onkyo TX-SR600 (reconditioned) for $294 before I'd buy the H/K 125, but that's just me.

5. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Besides a little more power and the OSD, the 225 also has the EZset remote which automatically configures the sound levels for each speaker for you. It's a very convenient feature. Plus the remote is a multibrand remote. Out here in Cali at Fry's, the 125 cost $279 while the 225 is $299. Definitely worth the $20 difference. It's only $27 difference at Onecall.com, $322 shipped for the 125 and $349 shipped for the 225.

6. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I didn't have any problems at all setting up my 125. I didn't miss an OSD. Setup was fairly intuitive. The manual is very very good and can walk you through it.

7. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

i live in fremont, CA and have fry's like 4 miles away. i will go and check out the receivers

8. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Fremont, eh? I lived in Hayward from '65-'73...Jr High thru High school....had a few friends in Fremont. Ever go to Sunol and party? [​IMG]
    They didn't have Fry's back then unfortunately. I think I was using a little Lafayette receiver with a built-in 8-track player...prolly about 15wpc....and two little plastic speakers. My turntable was an old Sears Silvertone with a detachable speaker which fit on top and fastened together when you weren't using it. It had a handle on it so you could pick it up and carry it like a piece of friggin' luggage [​IMG]

9. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

KuttaS,

If you buy a SJ Mercury News, especially the Friday edition, you'll most likely find the HK-225 advertised in there for $299. I was at the Fremont store a few weeks ago and it was saw both units priced as I had previously written.

I got my HK-320 there for $299 last November.

10. kuttaS

kuttaS Stunt Coordinator

just got the fry's ad today, hk 225 is $299