What's new

Difference between front and downward firing subs (1 Viewer)

Michael Gdwn

Agent
What is the differences between front and floor firing subs? Or what differences does it make? Is one better for music while another is better for movies?
Right now I have an SVS 20-39 PCi, which costs ALOT, atleast for a college student and a Audiosource 15 frontfiring. The Audiosource sounds like it blends with the system and more musical, while the SVS seems to be better for home theater (I think I may destroy my dorm at college if I kept it:) )
I really want one that sounds great for music, but also will rattle the room apart during the Matrix and the Phantom Menace.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Are the AudioSource and SVS in the same place? If not try switching where they are located and see which one sounds better (room placement makes a HUGE difference). Are you level matching them, if the SVS is set too loud this may be another reason why the AudioSource is sounding better for music to you.

Front vs down firing makes no difference. The wave lengths are just too long.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The SVS should be made to sound pretty good. I heard a setup with 2 SVS 20-39's and one was in a corner. The sound was really good with nothing to complain about. No obvious peaks or valleys that I could tell.

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
You can kick a soccer ball into the speaker of a front firing speaker.

That's what I would worry about in a dorm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks