Difference between "digital audio" and "composite video"...?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vader, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    I was wondering what the difference is between a "digital audio" coax cable and a composite video cable. Specifically, I am currently using digital audio coax cable (I don't recall the make -- I got it years ago) to run between my AC-3 RF Out to my AMP. Due to rearrangement of components, these cables are not long enough (poor planning on my part), and I have some Liberty Interflex Z300 composite video cables that would fit the bill. I am assuming that the digital audio cables will carry a much larger bandwidth than regular audio interconnects, and that is the only fundamental difference. Also assuming that video transmission requires a much higher bandwidth than audio in general (BIG assumption on my part -- someone please correct me if I'm all wet), I would expect the Libertys to be WAY above the bandwidth requirements. Can I expect the Libertys to work here?

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

They are the same cables. There is no difference between them except for the orange vs. yellow colour on some models. The system was designed that way. For reference, audio requires a bandwith of DC to 20 kHz [as much as 50 if you have a SACD/DVDA setup]; video is DC to 4 MHz [6-12 in a good LD or DVD setup, 30 in HiVision]; S/PDIF [standard CD digital audio] DC to about 1.5 MHz; and AC-3 RF a 200 kHz bandwidth centered on about 2.5 MHz.
    I'm sure all this information is on the Forum somewhere already.

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Thanx, Chris!.....:)

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Chris nailed it. [​IMG]

The people who wrote the coaxial-digital spec WANTED people to be able to just run out and buy the right cable. All video cables are made with something called "75 ohm coax" and this is what the SPDIF (Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format) had in mind.