What's new

Difference between Denon receiver lines, e.g. 987 vs 2807? (1 Viewer)

Monte Fisher

Auditioning
See Denon's site (forum won't let me post a link): same appearance, same specs, same prices -- the former is sold at the nearby Circuit City, the latter not -- anyone know why Denon seems to have parallel lines, and any downside to buying the 3-digit models rather than the 4-digit ones?

(I don't need an informed salesperson (I have this forum!), and at CC I can get a 5-year no-questions-asked repair/replace plan for $80, which I like since it's come in handy with other components -- e.g. we had a massive power surge, which blew out surge protectors and everything attached to them -- CC gave me the purchase price for each component that was under their plan (including one of the Monster surge protectors)....)

Thanks!

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
In reality I don't think there is a lot of differences other than appearances. . .

One can be mail ordered one can't.

One can be discounted one can't.

One can be sold over the internet one can't.

One has a longer warrenty. . .don't know but I assume so. . .

mylan

Screenwriter
Just like Yamaha, Denon has their regular line and a "consumer" line. With Yamaha it is HTR 5090 for the consumer line or RXV-659 for the regular line. . For some reason, the consumer line is what is sold on-line or in lower end stores like BB or CC. You get the same power in each and many of the features, however, zone 2 compatibilty is usually limited to the regular line, like the Denon 2807 instead of the 987 and so on.
In other words, I have no clue why Denon, or Yamaha, would split their product lines like that but a direct comparison will tell you which to get.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
It's to protect their dealer network. I mean, if you go into Myer Emco, it's a bit like buying a car. There's a salesman who will answer your questions. The listening room has doors, and if you ask nicely, you can get a demo using some pretty high end equipment. There may even be room to negotiate on price.

Now, if the salesman uses his expertise to make a good recommendation for your needs, but you end up searching for the lowest possible price on the internet, the local shop loses out.

Conversely, if you buy your Denon at Best Buy, the salesman is not likely to know the ins and outs. There's no space to audition, and, in any case, the speakers available are so so.

The latest trend at best buy, by the way, is to have a wide aisle. Speakers line each side of the aisle. In the middle of the aisle, on canted islands, are audio components. It looks visually interesting. But try to listen to speakers there, and you'll find that the sweet spots are occupied by shelving...

The receivers at the big box places are often rated with a 1 Khz measurement, rather than the more relevant 20--20Khz measurement, so as to better compete with the

2000 Watts (ppmo) (into 3 ohm) of high impact action!

home theaters in a box.

Same receiver, same amps same good quality parts, but rated differently.

Oh, the AVR-987 and AVR-2087 have different remotes (or at least remotes with different model numbers).

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
If you look at the rest of the Denon line, the "mass market" receivers usually trade off serial ports, or 12V triggers, or some other marginal function (maybe even zones) for a lower cost. Occasionally, as (perhaps) in this case, the models are only cosmetically different. Be sure that your dealer is authorized, though.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
i remember when price matching deals were still relatively new (late 80's early 90's) there seemed to be a lot of slapping different model #'s on electronics just so a big box store could say actually ours is the yamasonic FU ou812, and that's an ad for a yamasonic GFU 0u812, so we can't give our price matching discount.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

are you telling me that if you aren't going to use different "zones" then the 987 is the way to go? NM scratch that, I want to know the comparable version of the 3806. I have one on order, but if it is loads cheaper...

mylan

Screenwriter
Not at all, all things considered I would go for the 2803, 2807, or 3806 at this point, possibly even get one with a "CI" designation, which stands for custom installation. With those you get zone 2, 12v. triggers and other features that allow you to install them into more elaborate theaters with, say, Crestron, or other third party controllers and allow the trigger to activate a screen among other things.
If you can wait I would see what Denon has in store for this summer's release of new models. I hear support for HD-DVD/BD surround formats and HDMI 1.3 are two of the features, however, 1.3 might not be worth waiting for anyway. That Denon 3806 is a great reciever, good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks