Difference between Denon 3802 and 3803?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill W., Nov 24, 2002.

1. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

What are the differences? I was about to buy a 3802 at a local dealer when I realized that there was a 3803. The dealer says its just a model year upgrade without a significant difference?

Thanks.

Bill

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Bill: There are several changes. The list includes better digital to analog converters, better analog to digital converters, a better surround processor chip, on-screen volume indication, DTS 96/24 support, lip sync/audio delay correction, 8 channel input sub volume correction, the ability to turn off the sub in every mode (independent of what you chose in other modes), improved on-screen menu information and 2 additional subwoofer crossover frequencies (40 & 60 Hz.)

There are probably more things than what I've noted but they are the key ones. Yes, many of the changes are evolutionary but they are still, IMO, very worthwhile...

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Oh yeah, a couple other important things I forgot. The 3803 can do video up-conversion (it can do composite to S-video to component) and has 100 Mhz video switching (for true HDTV support.) The 3802 has neither...

4. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, that makes it an easy decision!

Bill