difference between denon 3801 and 3802 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve R, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Steve R

Steve R Extra

Hi,

I'm looking at the denon 3802 to replace a old receiver. I noticed that 6 ave. electronics is selling the 3801 for $300 less than the 3802. I want to drive three other locations through a speaker selector box other than my main listening/viewing room. Also, I would like to have the capability to add a outboard amp in the future. Would the 3801 do the job? I welcome any imput you can offer.

Steve

2. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Steve,
    I know that one of the main differences is that the 3802 has Dolby ProLogic II and the 3801 does not. I beleive that they are the same in almost all other specs. BTW... the 3803 is just around the corner [​IMG]

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

....and a huge 5 watt per channel increase in stated power per channel.

4. Steve R

Steve R Extra

When will the 3803 come out? Will it be worth the wait?

5. Eric_Lakes

Eric_Lakes Agent

Not really.. there's not any new formats out. The 3802 has all the decoders. Maybe Denon will have their own matrixed 7.1??? A new remote would be nice.

6. Jorma

Jorma Extra

Is this an typo?
    http://www.hirsch-ille.de/denon/avr3803.html
    Shows an Denon AVR-3803 but there is no mention about the model on their website (and i dont read German that well LOL).
    I'm also buying soon Denon AVR 3802 but i'd REALLY like to know if there is newer product coming from Denon. So please, if anyone has any information, share it with us ok?

7. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

8. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Looks like it will have RDS implemented in the tuner, and "real" Dolby Digital Surround-EX instead of Denon's generic 6.1 matrix decoder. That's about all I could make out of the German text that might be different from the 3801/2 models. Guess we'll see. Don't really see the point in bringing out 3 models in less than 2 years that have virtually the same specs. [​IMG]

9. Jorma

Jorma Extra

Indeed. Looks like i'll wait. Well, i'm building up my first real Home-Theatre so i can wait, i have an room to build first as well, so i wouldn't be able to use the Amp right now anyway.
    Gotta save the €'s then [​IMG]