Difference between commercial and Aquarium silicone if any?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert_eb, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Is there any difference between the silicone that you can purchase at the Aquarium store and silicone that you can buy at Builders Square or Lowes (commercial type)? The biggest difference I've noticed is the price. It states on both types that it's 100% silicone. I'm building a cave for my fish aquarium and I'm using a clay pot. I'm applying the silicone as a adhesive on the clay pot and adding small rocks that match my gravel bed. I've used the commercial type that I bought at Lowes. Will this cause any problems?

Thanks.

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I've used commercial grade (GE brand) silicone in my freshwater tank to glue rocks together. I don't think there is any difference, but there is two-different kinds of silicone. One is a Food-Grade silicone, the other is not. The Food Grade is certified for kitchen and can come in contact with food and not be poisonous, etc. I used that when I used it before. Works well and as you say, if you can buy if from a hardware store, it's generally cheaper than aquarium specific.

Jay