What's new

Difference between cheap and high end SACD? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huerter

Auditioning
I have listened to the Sony High End in the store ($1400 5 CD changer) What do I give up (in simpleton terms) with their new $300 model?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, this is a hardware question, but I'll give it a whirl here anyway. I assume the $1400 SACD changer you saw is the Sony SCD-C555ES and the $300 model is the Sony SCD-CE775. There are significant differences between the two players. Here are some of them:
1) External build quality: The 'C555ES weighs about 24 lbs., 5 oz., and has a drop-down door that covers the carousel drawer when closed. The 'CE775 weighs only around 12 lbs. and has no drop-down door. The 'CE775 feels flimsy in comparison to the 'C555ES. Also, the analog and coaxial digital outputs on the 'C555ES are gold-plated.
2) Internal build quality: The 'C555ES uses better DACs than the 'CE775. Both use Burr-Brown DACs, but the PCM 1738 DACs in the 'C555ES are rated better (in terms of specs.) than the DSD 1702 DACs in the 'CE775. Also, the 'C555ES has two large R-Core power supplies, one each for the analog and digital circuitry. The 'CE775 has one smaller power supply. The 'C555ES also has a better analog output stage and a better transport.
3) Digital outputs: The 'C555ES has coaxial and optical digital outputs, while the 'CE775 only has an optical digital output.
4) Warranty Duration: As an ES product, the 'C555ES comes with a five-year warranty. The 'CE775 comes with a one-year warranty.
Those are the major differences. With the differences highlighted in items 1 and 2 above come superior audio performance from the 'C555ES. Note that the retail price of the 'C555ES dropped recently from $1700 to $1200, and OneCall and Oade Bros. (both authorized) sell it for around $800. I got a 'C555ES from OneCall a few weeks ago for $824 delivered. It is a great piece. If you can swing it, get the 'C555ES over the 'CE775.

Eric Huerter

Auditioning
Very helpful

Thanks.

sorry, i thought this was the appropriate board for the question.

Where do you get your SACD's out of curiousity?

RicP

Screenwriter
Hey Keith,
Do you have a separate room in your new place for all the CD Players? ;)
Didn't you already get a Multi-Channel SACD Deck awhile back?
Are you keeping the 333ES? If not what do you plan to do with it?

Michael_T

Second Unit
Eric,
I would agree with Keith. If you can swing it go with the 555ES. I say this as an owner of both the 333ES (Sony's comparable stereo SACD model to the 555ES) and the CE775.
The CE775 is fairly light, and definitely not as good a player with stereo SACD. I purchased the CE775 only to play multichannel SACD, and I am very happy with it in that regard.
I have no intention of giving up my 333ES, as it is a superb stereo SACD and CD player. But there may come a time in the future that I may just upgrade the CE775 to a more robust multichannel SACD player, because I get the feeling that I am not getting all I can out of my multichannel SACDs as I could. Even so, I don't see this happening for quite some time.
In the end, unless you have been used to listening to redbook CDs from top-of-the-line audiophile playback equipment, you can't go wrong with either the 555ES or the CE775. But if you had to pick just one - go with the 555ES.
Where do you get your SACD's out of curiousity?
Seeing how you are in Kansas, I couldn't tell you what Brick and Mortar stores to buy SACDs at, but if you have a Best Buy anywhere nearby, they have been carrying the Sony line of software recently. Circuit City has also gotten in a few titles recently, so you can also try there.
On-line I tend to use the following places:
www.elusivedisc.com (very good selection, and fast service)
www.amusicdirect.com (very good service, yet their site is not updated as much as elusivedisc.com)
www.acousticsounds.com
www.towerrecords.com
www.cdnow.com
I would start with those on-line sources for the most extensive selections. I also know that www.Amazon.com has some SACDs, as well as www.superaudio-cd.com (limited selection, but they have some hard to get titles at times)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ric,
I have enough CD players now that I can have a couple in each bathroom. ;)
The 'C555ES was my first multi-channel SACD player. I bought the '777ES in October 2000 and the 'C333ES this past April. Note that I have two stereo systems, and the 'C333ES and 'C555ES are not used in the same system. The 'C333ES is my primary front-end component in the second system. The 'C555ES functions as the primary CD changer in my main stereo system and, of course, is used for multi-channel SACD playback in my home-theater system. The main stereo system and home-theater system are in the same room. In any event, I have no plans to get rid of the 'C333ES, as the 'C555ES was not bought as a replacement for it.
Eric,
Michael mentioned some excellent resources for SACDs. I will add that some Circuit City stores are getting in SACDs too. Also, Acoustic Sounds is located in Salina, KS. Is Salinas near you? Unfortunately, I don't know if they have a brick-and-mortar store.

Users who are viewing this thread