Difference between Cd-r (containing a video) and a VCD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Emile, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile Agent

I have a huge Cd-R collection of tv shows, movies, etc, and I don't know the difference between a VCD and a CD-R burned video,etc. Is a VCD a subset of a Cd-R or are they two fundamentally different things. I know this is not too important since most DVD players play both, but wouldn't it affect the quality of the display? Thanks.

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

cd-r with burned videos would be data and to my knowledge require a computer to play thoes files with some sort of software player ie windows media player Winamp, or real player.

A vcd is burned to the disc in a format (I wana say mpeg2 but not sure) that most new dvd players can read. Quality is that of a VCR tape thouh I have not watched one and that is based only on what I have read and heard.

Hope that helps

3. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

VCD uses MPEG-1 for video. Just a comment - most DVD Players play VCDs (I think this is part of a specification) but not many play CD-Rs containing video. Especially since you did not specify in which format these video are stored. It could be QuickTime, Real, ...

4. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

5. NateD

NateD Auditioning

VCD = mpeg1
    SVCD = mpeg2

it's a different format, but if you have mpeg files, just use nero to burn them as vcd.

6. Emile

Emile Agent

So then basically none of my Cd-R's will play on a Dvd player that plays Cd-R's (say they all can be opened by realplayer-Avi format)? So then what do you play on Cd-R since this is a different DVd option from a VCD option? Thanks.

7. Trent D

Trent D Auditioning

Music or MP3's I think. Video is a different story.

8. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

thanks chella and nate... MEPEG1, MEPG2, MEPG14 whatever it takes (Quote Modified from Mr. Mom)
    Trent your right on the mark... DVD Players can read cd-r's with MP3's or Normal .wav files (ie. say you made a back-up copy of your favorite Britney Spears CD and the original was lost in a fire [​IMG] )
    Emile - Take one of your CD-R's that has avi files on it and try to play them on a DVD Player. My bet is they will not work.
    You can use AVI2MPEG to convert your avi files to mpeg1 and then use NERO or EZ CD Creator to burn a VCD. Problem Solved[​IMG]
    Hope that helps even more

9. Emile

Emile Agent

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that and see how it turns out.