Difference between Cat5 and Cat5e?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Harwood, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

Well, no luck tonight with the DVD player running through the Leviton Quick Port S-video connectors. I used standard Cat 5 cable as I thought it required. I re-read the instructions today and it says to use UTP cable (which I believe is Cat 5e). Is there a difference and could this be my problem? Right now I have a totally black screen, as if there's no signal getting through at all.
    What about cutting the ends off of a standard S-video cable and simply attaching the wires inside the connector like I did with the Cat 5 cable? Thoughts on this plan?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Adam_Smith

Adam_Smith Auditioning

UTP just means Unshielded twisted pair. Cat3 (telephone wire) , Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6. Cat5 and Cat5e are essentialy identical except that Cate meets higher standerds, such as all of the twists being equidistant from each other. As far as I know this difference should not affect your situation.

3. Matt Harwood

Matt Harwood Agent

I'm going to double check the connections tonight. What do you think of replacing the UTP cable with an S-video cable with the connectors cut off?