Difference between B&K Amps: Reference vs. 125

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy_N, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I'm just wondering what the difference is between B&K's Reference Series and the 125 Series.
    Scroll 1/2 down for some info

Big difference in price. Is it just due to the 125 watts vs 200 watts? Any thoughts, comments, ideas?

The specs are very similiar. Signal to Noise ratio is 90dB for the 3 channel 125 and 95dB for the 3 channel reference.

Dampening Factor - shouldn't make an audible difference. 180 vs 400

Thanks

Tom

2. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Back when I owned B&K I had a AV5000II (the 125 version) and then I upgared to the 3x200 Ref 3340 (or some number like that) and there was definatly a difference. In my opinion it was worth the upgrade. There was more depth and detail.

3. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. Out of curiosity were you using the Paradigm 100's with them? Overall how would you rate the AV5000II?

I'm looking at your web site. You think the Athem sound better then the reference. Hmmm I'll have to check them out.

Thanks

Tom

4. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

The AV5000II is a pretty good amp. Its probably a little underpowered (at least at the levels I like to listen to) for the 100's. For less power hungry amps, it should do fine. I am not sure what the "design" differences are between the them and the ref series are, but I can tell you there was a slight improvment going to them.

I do like the Anthem amps better. But I will tell you I heard a bigger difference in going from the 5000II to the Ref series than I did going from the B&K to the Anthem. I just got a great deal on the Anthem and was able to pocket some change when I sold the B&K. In the end I ened up going with a much higer end amp than both of them for the 100's, the Proceed HPA-2. They are not even in the same league.