difference between a pre-pro and an AV Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antoine Peltier, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Antoine Peltier

This may seem like a really stupid question but what's the difference between a Preamp-Processor and an AV Receiver???? To me they seem to do the same things (amplifying and decoding) and yet they are seperated into these two different categories..

anyone?

2. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Pre-pros don't have amps. Receivers do.

3. Antoine Peltier

so every pre-pro has to be fed to an amp?

what if you only have a stereo amp and want to use Dolby Digital and DTS signals?

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

5. Antoine Peltier

Allrighty. Then how come companies like Outlaw sell combo packages of their 1050 Receiver with their 750 Amp?

6. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Because the 750 amp (165wpc) is better/more powerful than the 1050's amp (60wpc). For some folks, 60wpc is not enough.

7. Antoine Peltier

So is it better to go with a pre-pro and a seperate amp or a combo unit? I'd say the first option is better, because you can always upgrade one or the other...

8. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I have their 1050 and will be getting their 750 amp unless a really sweet deal comes thru. Most members will tell you that when adding an external amp to your receiver (if it has the pre-outs) there is noticeable difference in sound quality.

And as you know their 1050 has 5 pre-outs plus one LFE out and their 750 amps is their 5 channel amp. I hear that together these two make a very nice faux pre/pro.

And if I had more money I'd go full pre/pro.

9. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

10. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

the real question (for me anyway) is why are pre/pros alone so much more expensive than receivers, seeing that receivers have similar decoding abilities PLUS built-in amplifiers? of course i'm talking about fairly high end receivers with complete sets of preouts, bass management, decoding, etc. compared with even the cheapest pre/pros.

11. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

12. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

yah, but what are you really adding to a pre/pro over a receiver to justify the cost? it just seems that you're taking the amps away and possibly using a quieter power supply. is a quieter power supply really that much more costly than amplifiers?

13. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

>yah, but what are you really adding to a pre/pro over a receiver to justify the cost?

11 herbs and spices.

>it just seems that you're taking the amps away and possibly using a quieter power supply. is a quieter power supply really that much more costly than amplifiers?

No, you're not getting the big picture. Pre/pro's are a niche market. They sell maybe 10% of the total receiver sales (and I'm being generous).

The bottom line is that fewer companies make pro/pro's for a select clientele. The fact that only 'niche' companies make them is another point. Name any big Japanese company that makes pre/pro's. Onkyo/Integra, Sony and Marantz. Gee where's the commitment? After that it's the exotic US and UK companies.

I don't know about you guys but I would really like a Denon or Pioneer that has the amps removed... and not at the USD$4,000 pricepoint that Onkyo feel is ok.

T.

14. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

i guess that's why outlaw will be able to do the 950 at a relatively low cost, even if it will still be quite a bit more than the 1050 without really adding a whole lot of features (i'm sure most of the new stuff would be included if the 1050 were built today).

15. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

I think one point that hasn't been hit on is that All A/V

Recievers have built in AM/FM Tuners in addition to Video

Switching,Sound Processing and Amplification.

Most Pre/Pro's lack a Tuner and require the use of an External

Tuner Section.

If I am incorrect on this, someone feel free to correct me.

16. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I think some pre/pros have tuners. I always understood that an integrated amp is a receiver without a tuner.