What's new

Difference between a Palm Pilot and a Pocket PC? (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am strongly considering purchasing either the Palm Tungsten E ($200.00) or the Dell Axim (lower model, also $200.00) but don't really know the differences between the units (at least for my using habits). In addition to using the typical Palm Pilot utilities (calender, contact list, etc.) I would also be interested in getting Pocket Word and Excel. As I understand it, both of the above mentioned units offer the capability to do so. Therefore, I'm unsure as to which unit I should get. Any thoughts?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i thought (but am not positive) that only pocket pc can handle word & excel?

i used to have a palm. iirc, there is some kind of software that allows you to edit word and excel files...but it wasn't the "true" app.

i have the ipaq 1910 (with pocket pc) and love it. but it was kinda expensive.

so...if i'm thinking right...and pocket word & excel are a must...you'll have to stick with pocket pc.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I thought that only Pocket PC's could handle word and excel as well. However, on Palm's website, they state that the Tungsten E can indeed run both programs (Powerpoint too).

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well you CAN get a palm program called DOCUMENTS TO GO which will allow you to create/read/write Word, Excel, Powerpoint, JPEGs, Acrobat (view only) on a PALMOS PDA.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Well, while they are similarly priced, the Palm is more on the high-end (for Palms), and the Dell Axim is, if I understand you correctly, more on the low-end side (for Pocket PCs).

As the Palm Tungsten E does indeed include Documents-To-Go, it would do what you want just fine, plus you can count on it running anything else out there for Palms without any issues as well.

-Christian

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The so-called Word and so-called Excel on Pocket PC's isn't the real thing. They are, in fact, probably inferior to the Palm software available.

For instance, if you transfer a document from your desktop to the Pocket PC, make changes, then transfer it back... kiss goodbye to the formatting, to headers-footers, to... well, the list goes on.

Add to that stuff like sometimes unreliable alarms on the Pocket PC (surprisingly annoying when you are half an hour late for a meeting...) and larger size of the machine itself and you begin to question the wisdom of going with a PPC.

I have one myself. It is a fantastic multimedia machine; listening to MP3's while reading an E-book is super while being forced by life to do some sitting and waiting for some reason. However, my next machine will most likely be a Palm Tungsten 3, fantastic specs and the usual Palm reliability. Well... except that they tend to destroy SD memory cards. :rolleyes

The PPC platform is more technically advanced still; true multitasking as opposed to the switching in Palm OS 5, etc. Still, the Palms are making huge strides now and some (like the T3) are potential PPC-killers.

The only thing that I can think of now that would keep me from moving to the Palm platform is the upcoming Sony Ericsson P900, the successor to the P800. Looks like just about the perfect marriage of a cell phone and a PDA. Pricey as hell though, I would guess.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
One big point in favour of the PPC platform at the moment is the availability of a serious word processor for it, though. TextMaker is a full-featured word-compatible wordprocessor and people seem to really love it, especially combined with a portable keyboard like something from http://www.thinkoutside.com

If writing on a handheld is a priority then I guess that would be a point in favour for a PPC. Not free, though... around 50 dollars I think.

Spotted a review at InfoSync.

However, TextMaker is coming out for the Palm platform as well soon, I think.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replys. After some thought, I've decided to go with the Palm Tungsten E. Now it's just a question of when.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I had (and still occasionally use) a Palm IIIx. Recently I got a free Viewsonic V37 pocket pc. While it's nice, it's nowhere near worth the $300+ asking price, and the user interface seems clunky compared to the Palm. Inputting data seems like such a pain in the butt compared to the Palm. Also, I've had lots of crashes and resets with the PocketPC.

Ironically, the Viewsonic PocketPC has really made me want to pick up a Palm Tungsten.

-Dave

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
One more thing: the PocketPC has lots of synching problems - connection errors, etc... I never had that with the Palm.

-Dave

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Great choice with the Tungsten E...I've owned my Tungsten T for almost a year now. In fact, I've wirelessly posted this message via Bluetooth.

As has been said, Docs-to-Go is a fantastic app bundled with the E - it retains all of the formatting between your Palm and Word/Excel files (unlike ppc software). Plus, the price is fantastic ($179.99 @ Amazon) - considering I paid $499.99 last November for my T1, the E is an outstanding deal.

I keep Kinoma movies on my Palm SD card - Wallace & Gromit's A Grand Day Out, RotK trailer, Matrix Revolutions trailer, and many others. I am a frequent visitor to the pda forums, Brighthand & PalmInfocenter...great places to learn and chime in.

Have fun!

Just checked my email...MobilePlanet also carries the full Palm line and currently have an instant 10% off promotion. I've been lusting after the 320x480 transflective screen of the T3 (there is no better in the ppc camp), and with these prices, I might bite before year end.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah I just got a Handspring Visor Deluxe (Refurbed, only $50, looks/works like new!), though nowhere in the league of the new PALMOS PDAs, its a great little tool. Very reliable, its becoming more and more useful daily.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I've read that people do have problems with ActiveSync sometimes (thus the nom de guerre of ActiveStink) but for me it has always worked flawlessly.

The Pocket PC OS is pretty much like plain Windows in most ways. Some things are convoluted, but on the whole once you get used to the OS and add some freeware (chief among them PocketNav) it is pretty efficient, and very powerful.

Which you prefer is really a matter of personal taste. I'd rather pick up a lower-end Pocket PC than a lower-end Palm, but the new Tungsten T3 does stand out with its superb screen and small form factor.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
One more thing: the PocketPC has lots of synching problems
i'll disagree with that. i've never had a single problem synching my ipaq.

i also agree with kimmo's statement about the pocket pc being like plain windows...that's how i've always thought of it too.

i think one of the appeals of the pocket pc is the fact that it's so "tweaky" - you can really customize it to your liking. if you're familiar with windows you already have an upper-hand in navigating the thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks