What's new

Difference between 57H83, 57HX83, 57H93, 57HX93 (1 Viewer)

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Do you guys know the difference between all those Toshiba TV models?

I mean is it worth to pay 200$ more to get "HX" instead of only "H" and 93 instead of 83?

Thanks in advance!

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
A little more info for you to decide, or help others to explain the differences

57HX83

The Toshiba 57HX83 is a 57-inch, rear-projection television. Compared to other rear-projection TVs on the market, it is midpriced at around $2,400. Note that this product has a wide-screen (16:9) format.

Pros: This TV has two tuners, for watching multiple programs at one time. (Having more than one tuner comes in handy when you want to view more than one broadcast at a time, using PIP.) With built-in HDTV compatibility, this unit can display images that are significantly sharper and more realistic than regular television, as long as the source is high definition. (It can easily render standard-resolution digital TV broadcasts and also depict the full resolution of widescreen DVD video.)

Product Type TV Color
Technology Projection
Diagonal size 57 in
CRT type PureFlat
HDTV compatible Yes
Image aspect ratio 16:9
Comb filter 3D-Y/C digital
Pixel Pitch 0.52 mm
Remote Control
Remote Control Universal remote control
Audio System
Sound output mode Stereo
Secondary Audio Program (SAP) Yes
dbx Noise Reduction Yes
MTS Stereo Yes
Total output power 40 Watt
Audio Controls Bass
Video Features
Analog video format NTSC
Analog video signal Composite video
Multi-channel preview Picture-out-picture (POP)
TV Tuner:Tuner Qty 2
Display Menu Language French, English, Spanish
Closed Caption Capability Yes
Program Guide Features Sleep timer, Speed Surf
Channel Labeling Yes
Parental Channel Lock Yes
V-Chip Control Yes
VCR
VCR Type No
Physical Characteristics
Weight 240.0 lbs

57HX93

The Toshiba 57HX93 is a 57-inch, rear-projection television. Compared to other rear-projection TVs on the market, it is midpriced at around $3,000. Note that this product has a wide-screen (16:9) format.

Pros: This TV has two tuners, for watching multiple programs at one time. (Having more than one tuner comes in handy when you want to view more than one broadcast at a time, using PIP.) With built-in HDTV compatibility, this unit can display images that are significantly sharper and more realistic than regular television, as long as the source is high definition. (It can easily render standard-resolution digital TV broadcasts and also depict the full resolution of widescreen DVD video.)

Product Type TV Color
Technology Projection CRT
Diagonal size 57 in
HDTV compatible Yes
Additional Features On-screen menu, Dynamic contrast, JPEG photo playback, Black level expander, First-surface mirror, Video noise reduction, Anti-reflective filter, Dynamic focus circuitry, Vertical edge correction, 3:2 pulldown compensation, Ambient light sensor (ALS), Velocity modulation scanning, Progressive scanning (line doubling)
Remote Control
Remote Control Universal remote control Infrared
Remote Control Supported Devices:Supported Devices VCR, Cable box, DVD player
Features Back-lit buttons, Multi-brand compatibility
Audio System
Surround effects SRS 3D Sound, Virtual Dolby Surround
Sound output mode Stereo
dbx Noise Reduction Yes
Additional features Auto volume adjustment
Video Features
Multi-channel preview Split screen, Picture-out-of-picture (POP)
Color Temperature Control Yes (Warm/Medium/Cool)
Channel Labeling Yes
V-Chip Control Yes
DVD
Widescreen Modes Auto Wide
VCR
VCR Type None
Physical Characteristics
Weight 203.9 lbs
Warranty
Service / Support 1 year warranty

57H93

The Toshiba 57H93 is a 57-inch, rear-projection television. Compared to other rear-projection TVs on the market, it is relatively inexpensive at around $2,005. Note that this product has a wide-screen (16:9) format.

Pros: This TV has two tuners, for watching multiple programs at one time. (Having more than one tuner comes in handy when you want to view more than one broadcast at a time, using PIP.) With HDTV compatibility, this TV set can display images that are sharper and more realistic than analog television when connected to a high definition signal. In addition, this display supports 3:2 pull down, which reduces artifacts that can appear when motion pictures are moved to a digital format.

Full specs
General
Product Type TV Color
Technology Projection CRT
Diagonal size 57 in
CRT type Real Flat
HDTV compatible Yes
Pixel Pitch 0.52mm
Additional Features On-screen menu, Dynamic contrast, First-surface mirror, Video noise reduction, Dynamic focus circuitry, 3:2 pulldown compensation, Ambient light sensor (ALS), Velocity modulation scanning, Progressive scanning (line doubling)
Remote Control
Remote Control Universal remote control Infrared
Remote Control Supported Devices:Supported Devices TV, VCR, Cable box, DVD player
Features Back-lit buttons, Multi-brand compatibility
Audio System
Surround effects SRS 3D Sound
Sound output mode Stereo
dbx Noise Reduction Yes
MTS Stereo Yes
Audio Controls Bass, Treble, Balance, Sound mode
Additional features Auto volume adjustment
Video Features
Analog video format NTSC
Analog video signal Composite video
Multi-channel preview Picture-out-of-picture (POP)
Color Temperature Control Yes (Warm/Medium/Cool)
Program Guide Features Speed Surf
Channel Labeling Yes
V-Chip Control Yes
DVD
Widescreen Modes Full, Normal, Auto Wide, TheaterWide
VCR
VCR Type None
Physical Characteristics
Weight 203.9 lbs
Warranty
Service / Support 1 year warranty

Could not locate the H83
Ciao,
Steve

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the 93-H and 93-HX models have a few additional features for the extra $200, just a quick glance, there might be others...

HX-93
Additional Features On-screen menu, Dynamic contrast, JPEG photo playback, Black level expander, First-surface mirror, Video noise reduction, Anti-reflective filter, Dynamic focus circuitry, Vertical edge correction, 3:2 pulldown compensation, Ambient light sensor (ALS), Velocity modulation scanning, Progressive scanning (line doubling)

H-93
Additional Features On-screen menu, Dynamic contrast, First-surface mirror, Video noise reduction, Dynamic focus circuitry, 3:2 pulldown compensation, Ambient light sensor (ALS), Velocity modulation scanning, Progressive scanning (line doubling)

HX-83
Doesen't list these features so I'm guessing it was the first upgrade to the H-83 model and did not include the features added to the 93 H & HX models.

Note: the HX-93 has a couple extra features over the H-93 model including; JPEG photo playback, Black level expander, Anti-reflective filter.

Hope that helps, what kind of impact those features have on picture quality I'm not sure, go take a look at them if possible to see if it justifies the cost!
Ciao,
Steve

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Another thing to keep in mind is that the xxx84's are now coming down the pipe. I've seen a couple retailers with them, though I do not know what, if any, improvements are made.

Joe*C

Grip
I wish the xxx94's would start coming down the pipe. :)

I'll be waiting forever for that damn 57HX94.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
I have the toshiba 57hx 83. I did a lot of res-each on these TV's before I bought. The only difference that I can see between the HX83 and the HX93 (also the only difference between the H83 and the H93), is an integrated HD tuner. Picture this, two TV's, the H series and the HX series. Then add one in each that has a built in HD tuner.

Now the hard part. H series is called theaterwide- it is considered the step down model. You can get these anywhere TV's are sold: Best Buy, Sears, etc. The HX is called the Cinema series. The next step up. It is only available at certain stores around the country, (In my case the closest one was 150 miles away), or on the Internet.

Some difference's include, but not limited to, a different set of guns, a anti-glare screen, different colored plastics, and the most important one to me, an IR emitter. What that does is takes any infra-red signal that hits the screen(yes, the screen is the infra-red sensor) and kicks it out an output in the back of the TV to run all of you HT gear behind closed doors, around a corner where ever you want to put your stuff. As long as the 10' long cables that are included will let you reach.

If you need to know all of the details, check out their web site and compare the regular TV's (theater-wide) to the cinema series.

Hope this helps.

Oh, buy the way, I don't know jack about this years models.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
Supposedly this year's models HX series don't use the Pegasus IV tubes, for cost purposes. Quite a shame, as the tubes are quite good.

Rolando

Screenwriter
so does anyone know the differences with last year's Toshiba 51HX83 and this year's 51HX84 besides the number?

I can get either one same price some logic would say get the new one. BUT if the new one retails so lower than the old one did maybe there was a downgrade.

Can anyone help?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks Henning, I had heard the same. I did not know you were sure. sorry. I was also curious to know if anything else had been changed and to confirm then that indeed the 51HX83 has a better picture than 51HX84.

thanks.

henning hoffmann

Stunt Coordinator
The new '84 models have stretch modes for HD content too, not just SD content. This comes in handy when you have 4:3 HD content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks