What's new

Diff b/t the Denon 2803 & 3803? (1 Viewer)

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
John- I found that info on the new releases for Marantz. It was from a british retailer so maybe they won't be released in the states right away. Here's the post-

You do all realise that Marantz is in the process of introducing a new range of receivers. This is the new line up as far as I know from September onwards:

SR4400 £350
SR5400 with DTS 24/96 £450
SR5400 OSE(original special equipment)£550 I presume this one will replace SR6300
SR7400 £700
SR8300 £1500
SR9300 £2000

Expect improvements in sound and features. Also it might be wiser to buy one from the existing range as Marantz are well known for reducing prices on outgoing models, through a well known hi-fi retailer in Britain at least. I recently picked up a SR4300 for £200 while the cheapest I could find anywhere else was £260(net included). What's the situation like over in the states.

I'm stuck tho, because I may be able to get the Denon 3803 for the price of the 3802 ($699) because the 3802 is out of stock and the site will upgrade the unit at the same price. If so, would you take the 3803 for $700 or a refurbed 7300 for about the same price versus a new one at $899 or so?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I see. Their stuff always comes out overseas first, so it will be a few months before we see them here (maybe around x-mas), and they will be rolled out over a few months once they start bringing the new models here. That also means current models will not drop in price until their replacements hit the stores as well. Their cycle for new models has been about 1 to 1-1/2 yrs in the past few years, and it has been about that long.

If so, would you take the 3803 for $700 or a refurbed 7300 for about the same price versus a new one at $899 or so?
I'm a Marantz guy, but I don't look a gift horse in the mouth, so I'd say of those options, I'd probably shoot for the 3803 new first vs a refurb. If you can't get that deal, then I'd try for the 7300 new.

You might want to see if a local dealer will work with you on the price of the 7300. My dealer offered me a new in box OSE for $950.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I went down to my local dealer that sold me the 'digms and I'm gonna get the 7300 for $850. He'd give me the OSE for $999 but there isn't enough of a difference to justify the extra cash. He demoed it with some Atoms and I couldn't believe how nice they sounded and the volume from them. I can't wait to hear my Titans. I also learned Marantz bought Denon which will now become their consumer line as well they bought McIntosh for the very high end. So it came down to the 7300 and 3803 being nearly identical but thinking the Marantz must have the edge for it to not to be a consumer model.

So, I'm going back tomorrow to get it and I can't wait to se how it does. My only concern is the weak remote. However, coming from my Onkyo I won't be very disappointed. One thing, there's a sub out on the pre out section, is that where you hook up your sub? My Onkyo has it seperate and off to the side, so to see a sub out in the middle of a set of pre-outs, I just want to make sure that's the right sub out and that it's the same standard sub out, just grouped.

My first real test for the 7300 with be Matrix Reloaded :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
AFAIK, Denon did not buy Marantz, or McIntosh, they are owned by holding company, similar to how Harman Audio owns Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, and whatever else it holds (Hafler and Rockford?). They function as separate companies, but they are overseen by a parent conglomerate.

Yes, the sub out is grouped with the rest of the pre-outs, IMO, where it should be.

I ran a pair of v3 Atoms with my PM7000 (95x2@ 8 Ohms, 150x2@ 4Ohms)while waiting for my 902s, and they sounded quite good, though they lacked any useful bass.

I HATED the 6200s remote. The 7200 had a decent one, which made me wonder why they moved to the one the 7300 has? I also am not impressed with the RC3200 that came with my 8300 (repackaged Pronto). I bought a Marantz RC2000MkII when I bought the 6200, and I am still using it now.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
That's what the guy said, Marantz bought Denon. It is a holding company I think he said, but that holding company owns all 3 companies now and Marantz will position each line accordingly.

I did look at remotes a while back and I think I liked the MX 500. A lot of good reviews and I don't have very many units to control. I can't wait til tonight :)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Rick: FWIW, your dealer is misinformed. The deal between Denon and Marantz was a merger. Proving him further wrong, Denon came into the deal as the majority shareholder. Here is a link that summarizes the deal reasonably well... http://www.terrie.com/tt/2001-Richard/tt201.html
(BTW, D&M Holdings bought McIntosh from Clarion, the car stereo people.)

Of course, being the Denon loyalist, I could grumble about your dealer's thoughts on Denon being the "consumer line", but I'm in a charitable mood today. So I won't... ;)

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
OK, it may be me that's misquoting, he said more accurately that Marantz and Denon are the same now. He said there was no real difference between them and they are the same company now. He went on to say the D&M Holdings bought McIntosh. The reason for the Denon being consumer is because he said Sears will stock Denon and Sears is what he considered consumer I suppose. Please, I mean no disrespect :) I was a actually step away from getting the 3803, just no one carried it locally.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I'm just teasing! ;)

Once we make a purchase, we're all proud of it. (Well, for the most part. Sometimes I've bought some real ****, if you know what I mean.)

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
Cool :) But as for the proud purchases, I was very proud when I bought my Bose Acoustimass set until a few months later when i stumbled onto some real audiophile sites. That's what led me to Paradigms :)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
The MX-500 is one of the best remotes out there. Check into it at RemoteCentral.com.

If you have any questions on it, check there, or email me.

I own the Home Theater Master MX-1000, MX-500, MX-600, MX-700 and MX-800 and will own the new MX-3000 Touchscreen from HTM when it is released. I also own a Pronto TSU-2000 and a TSU3000 and have owned the TSU6000.

So, I'm well informed about the MX-500, having been instrumental in some of the higher end features of the remote.

... Greg

P.S. I own Denon w Paradigm and it is an excellent match due to the warmness of the Denon and the forwardness/harshness/shrillness of the Paradigms.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
I like the MX 500 however, I only wish it also had timers. I've seen it for $99 so i may go ahead and get it anyway as it seems to get the highest reveiws of any remote, period.

I got the 7300ose. Actually, I went to get the 7300 for $850, they guy was expecting me. I showed up, said go get it and it turns out they were out. So they gave me the 7300ose for $850!!

All I can say is wow. The biggest thing I notice is that everything is more dynamic, the soundstage is much wider then my Onkyo. I now see what people meant when they said the Onkyo was flat. The thing i like most about the 7300 is that every sound seems clear and seperate not muddied. I guess the musical;ly quality and having seperate DACs for each channel really gives a wide sounstage. That in turns makes movies really crisp because every sound is so accurate and seems to come from everywhere. Matrix Reloaded was quite nice as was LOTR.

I got an SPL, now I just to need to make sure I'm using it correctly. Thanks all for the advice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks