Diet Update...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, Oct 9, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Well, for anyone who cares to know...

I've been on it for about two weeks. I started at 262, went down to 255, and if I did it correctly, I lost three inches in the waist line.

Not quite sure how to properly measure the stomach area...but I let the gut hang out both times, and if I did it right, I was 49 before, now I'm 46.

Three more weeks, the goal is 245-240 back to where I was a fwe years ago. I'm hoping to get a week or two down the Jersey Shore so I can get in some more biking exercises and walking. Where I am normally, it's too hilly and I can't go as far.. hopefully that might help speed things up...

Heh, and next week is the Los Angeles week trip. Doubt I'll be eating much then, since I can't cook my own meals, and Burger King and McDonalds has been off the diet for three weeks..

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

BK and MickeyD's both have salads on the menu [​IMG]

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Good on you, brother!

And go to the McD's and BK websites, pick out meals that are low fat, sodium, whatever. If you look around, you can get some good stuff there, like the chicken sandwich without mayo. Cut the portions in half, eschew the soda, and you should be ok.

4. Vinito

Vinito Extra

good thing you stayin away from those fast food places. Those things will kill you, nothing but a bunch of greesed up sh't waiting for some fat guy to devour. But its not a good thing that you cant cook for yourself. Learn how to cook, or find a nice little lady that could do it for you [​IMG]

5. Geraldine/F/M

Great![​IMG] Way to go!

What century are YOU from?

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Nice work! If you guys are looking for something interesting to rent try Supersize Me. It's a good kick in the ass and I have no desire to eat fastfood any time soon!

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Thats's SO true. [​IMG] My two part-time vet assistants are both young ladies in college. They both have boyfriends, sometimes called fiances, that they live with. In both cases, the guys do the cooking; according to the girls, they don't know how.

Of course, they both said they didn't know how to use a vacuum cleaner or a washer & dryer when they started to work here, as well. What's in all those magazines they read, anyway? Ahhh, makeup, lingerie, and shoes....

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

DAMMIT I'm in the wrong profession. You need to relocate to CO, open a practice, an hire me part time, and all the ladies full time.... [​IMG]

Unless I missed it, I didn't see which diet you were on neil. I did atkins about a year ago with great success, about 60 pounds. As with all the atkins people it's all back [​IMG]
    Please advise, maybe I'll give it a stab.

Seconded supersize me. Apparently the McD's salads are worse than some of their burgers.

9. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

This would be a Doctor imposed diet using Medi Fast Milshakes. One at 12, one at 3, and one at 9. So far, I guess it seems to be working, heh.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Yeesh, glad it's working for you, doesn't sound like much fun [​IMG]

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I've been wondering something. Am I loosing weight at the right pace? I started at 263 October 1st... I'm now back down to 250. Is 13 pounds and 4 inches in the waist gone a good thing for one months worth of work, or should I have lost more?

Just curious, because by the time December rolls around I hope to be at my more normal weight of 240 again..but hope to go even lower than that this time around.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Way to go Neil, keep it going. [​IMG] If you can incorporate some exercise that is fun and rewarding, the easier it is to keep the weight that you got off, off for good.

Jay

13. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

yar, there certainly are alternatives to Mickey D's and BK in L.A. nevermind the suggestions of getting a salad from there either. you can get a salad anywhere, why make it harder on yourself by going into a place whos "food" you like so much? doesn't make much sense to me.

no one's going to be able to tell you if the rate of fat loss within the one month time period is about right or not since everyone's body is so different from everyone elses.

for those of you that have dieted before.... that's the trap. when you think you're dieting most people won't stick to it. you need to change your eating habits. there's a big difference.

also, regular exercise is a must to help lose weight/speed up metabolism/maintain. without it, you'll be back to square one shortly.

Neil, good luck with your newer you. it's nice to compare numbers, but nothing is more truer than your mirror.

keep it up.
    [​IMG]

14. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

That's about right. 1-2 pounds of fatloss per week is about the fastest rate you'll want to lose weight. Anything more is probably muscle (or water). You want to preserve your lean mass as much as possible.

Because you are just starting out, some of the initial weight loss was almost certainly water weight. Don't be discouraged if your weight loss slows somewhat. Aim for 1-2 pounds per week by creating a mild caloric deficit and be sure to exercise: weights, cardio, and a clean diet will get you to your goals before you know it!

15. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Neil-

Men's Fitness magazine just released a Men's Nutrition Guide that you might want to check out. It discusses real nutrition (not just cutting out carbs, fat, or anything like that) and offers several simple programs for losing weight, gaining muscle, overall health, whatever your goals might be.

It's no magic bullet, but I've been reading it and it has a lot of good information in there. It also breaks down what the "not so bad" food choices are from major fast food and restaurant chains (for when you need to either eat quick or are travelling.) You might want to hit a Borders and check it out as some supplemental material.

John Stone - Wow, good freakin job man! Way to go!!!

16. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Hey, speak for yourself there, Phillip [​IMG] It's been 22 months since I started Atkins, and I'm still down 60 lbs.

Best of luck, Neil.

Jon

17. Neil J

Neil J Stunt Coordinator

I've lost about 30 lbs. in 4 months. I started going to the gym every other day, that really helps. I'm not on a special diet, but I don't eat crappy foods as much and I cut down on the beer. I still have a ways to go but it feels very good to go down in pant sizes and to be able to do 20 push-ups like nothing.

18. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

For anyone else on a diet, have you ever reached a point where you stopped losing pounds? For the past month, I've been stuck at 250. Just recently, I finally dropped to 248, but the diet is going slower than wished....

I'm only having two things a day now. One small portion of Ziti with Marinara for dinner, and a small snack of Cheerios for Lunch..

19. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

It seems like that might not be enough food to jump start your metabolism.

20. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Ouch. Where do I start? [​IMG]

No wonder you're stalled. Your body thinks it's starving and it's holding on to its fat stores for dear life. The vast majority of any weight you happen to lose on a "diet" like that is going to be water or muscle.

It's great that you want to drop some pounds, but you need to spend some time educating yourself about the proper way to lose weight. For starters, you should be eating 5-6 meals per day, not two. At your weight you need to be eating a minimum of 2,500 - 3,000 calories per day. You also need to get away from processed foods like pasta and cheerios and start eating clean, wholesome food like chicken breasts, tuna, egg whites, oatmeal, salmon, shrimp, lean steak, brown rice, green veggies and whole grain breads.

Weight training and cardio are also critical.

Basically everything you are doing right now is counterproductive to proper weight loss. It's not your fault; unfortunately the common belief out there is that if you want to lose weight, you need to starve yourself. Not only is that myth completely untrue, it's unhealthy and it's counterproductive.

If you are serious about permanently losing fat and putting on muscle, feel free to check out my web site and my forums (or any of the other excellent fitness resources on the web or in book stores). Whatever you do, please don't continue as you are now. You're only setting yourself up for disapointment over the long haul.