What's new

Diet Coke with Splenda (1 Viewer)

SteveA

Supporting Actor

We'll much to my dismay, grocery stores around here are no longer stocking classic Diet Coke, only the disgusting Splenda variety (and it is HORRID!). Guess it's time to switch to Diet Pepsi.

How could Coca-Cola make the same STUPID mistake twice - 20 years apart? I know they technically still offer the old Diet Coke, but if retailers aren't going to stock it it does no good.

Phil_L

Second Unit
The regular diet coke is still plentiful around here. They just introduced Coke Zero, another no calorie soda. It tastes more like Classic Coke than any of the others. They did a great job on this one.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I think Coke Zero is just a re-labeled Coke C2 from earlier this year. Unless it's going to be the new Diet Coke, since they renamed Diet Sprite to Sprite Zero awhile ago.

Colton

Supporting Actor
If I could sum up the feeling of drinking Diet Coke with Splenda ... well, it's kinda like a babys kiss on a sunny day. It gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

- Colton

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I like it instead of Diet Coke with Splenda which I don't like. This is one of the first no calorie sodas I do like.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Are cyclamates still used anywhere as sweeteners?
I thought the Diet Coke with Splenda worked well with rum and bourbon.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
the reg diet coke (any diet really) I can not stand, but I can take the splenda version in moderation.

What I don't get is all these sugar substitutes taste like sugar on their own, so why don't diet drinks taste like regular?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Probably because there are so many different kinds of sugars in regular soda. Since Cola is basically carmel flavoring, there is probably sugar, fructose, and carmel flavorings in the regular cola. The diet cola is only adding the sugar substitute, so the loss of the fructose and carmel flavor may be why they don't exactly taste the same.

but that's just an educated guess...

Jason L.

Second Unit
I just got back from the US, and I tried the following:

1. Diet Coke with Splenda - Utterly Gross. I don't see how anyone could like it.
2. Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper - Outstanding
3. Coke Zero - very good. Should do well with people switching over to Diet Cola for the first time.

Nathan Eddy

Second Unit
What's the difference between Diet Coke and Coke Zero? Isn't this just Diet Coke with a different label? The only difference I can detect is that it's "creamier," and possibly has a less metallic aftertaste.

Maybe it's time for a blind taste test.

BTW, it is most certainly NOT C2 repackaged, as mentioned on page 1. C2 is the closest to Coke Classic ANY "diet" drink has ever come. In fact, I did do a blind taste test with that one, and my friends and I could not tell the difference.

However, it's only half the calories, not zero calories. So it's "Coke lite," not truly Diet.

SteveA

Supporting Actor

Isn't "Coke Light" what our Diet Coke (without Splenda) is called in Europe?

This is getting way too confusing.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
[Isn't "Coke Light" what our Diet Coke (without Splenda) is called in Europe?
[/quote]
Pretty sure yes. That is what my wife drank while in Mexico. Coke Light.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just got a Coke Zero and I like it a LOT better than Diet Coke. It's even better than Diet Coke with Splenda (which wasn't all that hot to begin with).

Just like the Sprite Zero...much more easier to handle than the harsher Diet sodas out there.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I think both Diet Coke with Splenda and the new Coke Zero taste like Tab.

I'll stick with Diet Coke Classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks